Electrics

muchy_

Visit site
I have a dual battery system, you know small one for starting and two big ones for everything else. These are divided by a split charge diode. Is it possible to disconnect one bank or the other while the engine is running without frying the alternator?

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site
There are a few people on this forum who are technically literate /forums/images/icons/wink.gif and hopefully you'll receive a response.

However, if you post this in the PBO forum, you'll probably receive a far higher response, as that is where all the people who are knowledgeable in this sort of thing tend to post.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Col

Visit site
So long as you have a battery connected, you'll be OK. Make sure the alt is not subjected to a "no load" situation during switching.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Agree with Col. If no battery then the alternator seeks infinite charge and will quickly blow the diodes. I've seen car drivers swop batteries over while the car is running (tickover) so the alternator has some tolerance but don't go there in my opinion.
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

tr7v8

Visit site
Shouldn't be a problem with one reservation if one bank is very flat and the other pretty well charged you could cause a surge which the regulator may take offence at. Also ensuring the live lead doesn't short out is quite important.

Jim
-----

<hr width=100% size=1>