Electricity out of an old Yamaha 40?

G

I'm sure there's someone out there who can answer this.

I've got an old Yam40 with no power outtake. Is there a simple way of getting a 12v outlet from it?

Thanks in advance

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

snowleopard

Visit site
you need...

a) a lighting coil. this is a device which fits inside the flywheel. it produces 12v ac.

b) to charge a battery you need a rectifier or combined rectifier/controller.

larger outboards sometimes have this setup alreadylace (all electric-start ones do). To see if yours does, remove the flywheel (that's another story) and look for large packs of iron plates with coils round them, taking up most of the space under the flywheel.

If you haven't got them, pay a call on your friendly main agent and he'll be delighted to reliev you of a 3-figure sum.

G

Re: you need...

Thanks, looks like another 3 figure sum on the way to some lucky engineer!

Chris Enstone, Rival Spirit

graham

Visit site
Take Care!

Some years ago I fitted a rectifier to a twin cylinder 8hp Yamaha outboard so it could charge the battery.It worked a treat .The spare coil was allready fitted to the engine so I suspect your motor may be the same.

Unfortunately The system was fine for battery charging but after trashing 2 VHF radios in succesion I discovered that some form of control is neccessary to prevent over charging.

I overcame the problem by only charging for half an hour at a time with all electric supplies to radio ,lights etc turned off during charging.

G

Re: you need...

Ever thought of buying a small honda type gererator!!!!