Electric Air Pump

47GC

Visit site
Looking at buying one of those bravo BP12 electric air pump, any good? Looking at keeping a small 2.4 ish dinghy in the laz and this sounds handy to blow it up when we're looking to get ashore.

prv

Visit site
A quick google suggests that the BP12 is a high-pressure piston pump, for air floors and stand-up paddleboards. Might take a long time for a dinghy. For that you really want a turbine pump. Really fancy (£££) pumps have both and cut over from turbine to piston for the last bit. With my LVM turbine pump I have to give a few manual strokes at the end to get it up to pressure which is a bit of a faff, but still easer than doing the whole thing manually.

Pete

Forty_Two

Visit site
D
Looking at buying one of those bravo BP12 electric air pump, any good? Looking at keeping a small 2.4 ish dinghy in the laz and this sounds handy to blow it up when we're looking to get ashore.

Yep got one of those in 2013. Use it for an 2.4m AX2 with Aero Floor. Does it easy peasy in a few minutes. I wired a socket on my aft deck from an aft electric windlass to minimise volt drop.

Nice as you can set the pressure you want & it cuts out when reached.

Edit It has 2 modes & switches when needed. I presume turbine/piston, manual is on the boat so can't be more precise.

Last edited:

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
If you buy a BP12 it seems that you need to make sure it's not old stock as they did have a problem (http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=25307.0)

It isn't a twin stage pump, it has piston only, so it will be slow and noisy but will reach the required pressure (eventually) without topping up. It will be great for high pressure floors though.

The twin stage version is the BTP12, though of course it's more expensive. The issue with these is that some non-return valves on blow up dinghies offer too much resistance to the high flow/low pressure turbine setting, so the unit kicks into low volume/high pressure piston mode immediately. It's hard to tell whether it will be an issue on any particular dinghy until you've bought it.

I'm not very impressed with the Bravo stuff generally. As well as the two issues above, I bought a 240V unit where the deflate side has a different diameter to the outlet, and they included an adaptor that doesn't fit.

prv

Visit site
i do not suffer the issue he mentions for my AX2.

I have an AX3 (for sale :) ) and an AX4, the valves on these just use a light rubber flap which must take hardly any pressure to open. Whereas on the Contraption we have Halkey-Roberts type valves where there's a solid plastic plunger that has to move inwards. I guess those are more likely to trigger the pressure switch.

Pete

landlockedpirate

Visit site
These are the best thing I have ever bought for my sibs, especially the air floors. Completely transformed the performance of my Futura, set the pressure at the correct number then press start, easy as that.

But for getting the boat blown up quickly, i use one of these, blows a 2.4m dinghy from completely flat to full in around 1 min.

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=71039&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=CJWu2ZrTwsgCFUK7GwodQx0Cow

Last edited:

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
These are the best thing I have ever bought for my sibs, especially the air floors. Completely transformed the performance of my Futura, set the pressure at the correct number then press start, easy as that.

But for getting the boat blown up quickly, i use one of these, blows a 2.4m dinghy from completely flat to full in around 1 min.

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php..._medium=base&gclid=CJWu2ZrTwsgCFUK7GwodQx0Cow

Great idea ..... £155 incl. battery and charger!