EGNOS fix

noelex

Visit site
I have just replaced a lot of my electronics following a lightning strike. After some adjustment of settings I can get an EGNOS fix from satellite 124 on the new GPS. I am swinging at anchor so it is difficult to asses the change in fix quality, but the DOP has dropped to about 0.3 and the reported elevation is more accurate and consistent within a few meters, which makes the think the fix is more accurate.
on another forum I have been given a link that suggests EGNOS is now available for use (Thanks Gord) from April 1 !!!. I am supprised that this has not made more news.
se.ihs.com/news/2009/eu-en-egnos-satellite-navigation-040809.htm]egnos[/url]

BrendanS

Visit site
If it has gone live I'll be gobsmacked as they have been promising operational status for years and have never delivered to one of the promised timescales, and there is nothing about it having done so on the official sites. Also satellite 124 is still listed on the official websites as a test satellite

Cam't read your link by the way, it's broken

BrendanS

Visit site

noelex

Visit site
Thanks Brendan for fixing the link.
I agree that they have not delivered on their timescale, but they seem to be saying (if my interpretation is correct) that as of April 1 if you can receive a EGNOS fix it is now safe to use.
Anyway seems to working with a very stable position. Its nice to have the benifit of all those million of euros which finally seem to be doing some good.

BrendanS

Visit site
It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to put it into a fully operational state though, as it was planned to go fully live many years ago.