Eberspacher Engineer

richardbrennan

Visit site
Dues anyone know an Eberspacher engineer in the Portsmouth/Gosport area apart from Krueger who I have found to be very expensive. My unit, a DL3 Compact, is now refusing to start, it seems to begin the start sequence normally with the fan running, but then does not seem to ignite and shuts itself down after a minute or two. I am also not sure it is responding correctly to the thermostat. It's now twenty years old, might the problem be that it's simply reached the end of its useful life and can it be re-conditioned?

richardbrennan

Visit site
It has refused to start on just the batteries for some time, but has been OK on shore power. \i assumed this was the batteries which are being replaced tomorrow. I cleaned the contacts at the unit a few months back, but the power supply plug in particular was very difficult to get at. I did wonder if the fuel filter might be blocked. I am afraid checking voltage supply at the unit when the glow pin kicks in is a but beyond me, but thanks for the advice. At lease it looks like it might a few useful years left in it!

stuartwineberg

Visit site
It has refused to start on just the batteries for some time, but has been OK on shore power. \i assumed this was the batteries which are being replaced tomorrow. I cleaned the contacts at the unit a few months back, but the power supply plug in particular was very difficult to get at. I did wonder if the fuel filter might be blocked. I am afraid checking voltage supply at the unit when the glow pin kicks in is a but beyond me, but thanks for the advice. At lease it looks like it might a few useful years left in it!

My unit had this profile. I replaced the completely coked up mesh that surrounds the glow plug and it has been fine ever since. Quick job but the fact you have to destroy the old one to lever it out feels a bit scary at the time. Trying to attach a page from a service manual. It’s a different model but the principle is the same

Attachments

• C7B7107F-3516-462F-9F33-CD194DB385D6.jpeg
    C7B7107F-3516-462F-9F33-CD194DB385D6.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

QBhoy

Visit site
+1 on the batteries being the issue.
These things won’t start if they detect the slightest weakness in the batteries. The older LC models don’t help matters in that they demand such a high load on start up too.

richardbrennan

Visit site
I take the point about the batteries, and as I said, mine are being replaced today.

However, I still have the problem when the boat is connected to shore power, would this not take the batteries out of the equation?

pvb

Visit site
I take the point about the batteries, and as I said, mine are being replaced today.

However, I still have the problem when the boat is connected to shore power, would this not take the batteries out of the equation?

You'd expect it to, unless there's a dodgy connection in the wiring supplying the heater. If you can easily take the heater out, getting it checked/serviced might be an idea. I've found that commercial vehicle injection service companies with Eberspacher franchises are cheaper than marine heating people.

Hoolie

Visit site
Some years ago I serviced our D3LC using a service kit I bought on-line (forgotten where) for about £80. It was quite straightforward and sorted out all the starting problems we'd been having. I think this mainly involved changing the glow plug, the mesh and the fuel filters.

Something like this service kit

Last edited:

richardbrennan

Visit site
Unfortunately my back is not up to crawling into the far recesses of the cockpit locker to get at the heater these days, so I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get Krueger to have a look at it.

Thanks all for the advice.

Big John

Visit site
Dues anyone know an Eberspacher engineer in the Portsmouth/Gosport area apart from Krueger who I have found to be very expensive. My unit, a DL3 Compact, is now refusing to start, it seems to begin the start sequence normally with the fan running, but then does not seem to ignite and shuts itself down after a minute or two. I am also not sure it is responding correctly to the thermostat. It's now twenty years old, might the problem be that it's simply reached the end of its useful life and can it be re-conditioned?

Water in the fuel?????

Visit site
I've had really good help from a couple of eber guys - I have their phone numbers on my phone - one replaces the circuit boards on some of them and he gave me the phone number of someone else who had a look at my old D3L.

In the end I removed the heater and controller and sent it to them who tested it and pronounced it DOA. However he sells refurbed ones for sensible money with a guarantee and gives a p-ex discount

In fact they have a website: https://www.excaliburautoelectrics.co.uk/ really helpful

I struggled (failed) to get Kruger interested although they have an office in port solent where we are berthed - I suspect my eber was too old and knackered for them to bother with

richardbrennan

Visit site
Thank you for all the advice. Given my own past experience with Krueger and that of others, I am reluctant to use them. What I think I might do, give the advice on the power supply, is have one more go at trying to clean up the connector, and then may speak to the guy at Beaufort Marine. I am afraid Excalibur is a bit far out of my area.

pvb

Visit site
Thank you for all the advice. Given my own past experience with Krueger and that of others, I am reluctant to use them. What I think I might do, give the advice on the power supply, is have one more go at trying to clean up the connector, and then may speak to the guy at Beaufort Marine. I am afraid Excalibur is a bit far out of my area.

Or maybe Harrisons in Gosport, or Peter Staines in Southampton. Both quite close.

Big John

Visit site

This web page is full of very usefull information and if you phone them with your symptoms you will get very good advice.

https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/eberspacher_intro_1.html

T