Easy to reef, shaking out a struggle

johnphilip

Visit site
With about 30 square meters of mainsail we have a Seldon boom and single line reefing. Pulling in a reef is fortunately fine but with all the friction of multiple blocks pulling out to full size again is a real struggle, even worse if two reefs are in. It has always been a bit of an issue but seems to be getting worse. Last winter I removed the endcap and replaced a missing nylon slider on the internal block that travels up and down to pull the tack line but no noticeable improvement. Any suggestions?

lustyd

Visit site
How old are the ropes, and are they an appropriate size, or sized up? Also, do your deck organisers turn or are they seized?

johnphilip

Visit site
How old are the ropes, and are they an appropriate size, or sized up? Also, do your deck organisers turn or are they seized?
I did wonder about the ropes, they are mainly original 2006 soft braided but they do seem still to be soft, not salt hardened. Reefing line 1 I did replace with a thinner Dyneema line but no noticeable difference. All the blocks and organisers turn, is a lubricant on them going to help or just cause a sticky mess?

Stemar

Visit site
On my previous boat, I had a similar issue, solved by adding a block at the luff cringles, rather than passing the line through the cringle.

Block quality is important, too; switching from sleeve bearings to ball or roller bearing blocks mades a big difference

lustyd

Visit site
is a lubricant on them going to help or just cause a sticky mess?
usually just warm soapy water occasionally to keep them clean. Lube will often cause issues with bearings depending on the material.
Are you certain the lines aren't crossed inside the boom? And do the lines go neatly to one side of the sail? Easy to cause friction without realising it when putting the sail back on and running a line to the wrong side.