Eastern Med layup

Visit site
Boat currently ashore in Gruissan (Narbonne) SoF. Contemplating heading East summer 2021. As the boat will be in the EU on transition day it will be considered to be VAT paid in the EU? That means I will have to leave EU after 90 days. Question is, where best to pull ashore for 6-12 months. Greece or Turkey? And, can I book a berth ashore 12 months in advance?

lornagrace

Visit site
Boat currently ashore in Gruissan (Narbonne) SoF. Contemplating heading East summer 2021. As the boat will be in the EU on transition day it will be considered to be VAT paid in the EU? That means I will have to leave EU after 90 days. Question is, where best to pull ashore for 6-12 months. Greece or Turkey? And, can I book a berth ashore 12 months in advance?

Finike Turkey.
and yes to other question

Yngmar

Visit site
Aktio (opposite Preveza)? Three big yards to choose from. Nice cruising ground out the door, ~70 miles to Albania for your trip out of the EU. More stable than Turkey these days.

dgadee

Visit site
But you will need to book early for most nice places

I am hoping to get to there (currently at Rome) for this coming winter, leaving final decision until quite late - October probably. Might that be a problem for lift out in the area? Should I sort out early and fit plans around that?

neil1967

Visit site
I think you are confusing two issues: Yes boat is considered EU VAT paid. That means the boat can stay in the EU indefinitely. However, if you are a British citizen then you can (as we currently understand it) only stay 90 days in the Schengen area in any 180. So no reason why you cannot sail across the Med for your first 90 days in Schengen, then sail 90 days in Turkey, then come back into Schengen for 90 days, repeat indefinitely.

nortada

Visit site
I think you are confusing two issues: Yes boat is considered EU VAT paid. That means the boat can stay in the EU indefinitely. However, if you are a British citizen then you can (as we currently understand it) only stay 90 days in the Schengen area in any 180. So no reason why you cannot sail across the Med for your first 90 days in Schengen, then sail 90 days in Turkey, then come back into Schengen for 90 days, repeat indefinitely.

Just sent you a discrete PM with a request for ideas.

Last edited:

Visit site
No confusion, I leave the boat ashore for most of the year, spending 4-5 months afloat during summer then refurbish bank balance for the rest of the year,

Other threads that may be of interest