Eastern Algarve - Marinas

neil1967

Visit site
We plan to move from Cascais to the Algarve - probably the East end - in a couple of years time, the major driver being the quality of the sailing there compared to Lisbon/Cascais. I would be grateful for any insights into the marinas in the Algarve, particularly at the Eastern end - the good, the bad and the ugly. I have already put my name on the waiting list for Olhao - I am around number 800, so not convinced anything will come up in the right timeframe!

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
9 month marina contracts and sail for summer three seem to be the norm as high season very expensive. Albufeira has good winter rates, as does Vilamoura which is far more exposed. Vila Real de St Antonio is the cheapest for 12 months but exposed and with tide running through, quite a few boats damaged there. Ayamonte across the Guadiana is worth looking at, cheaper than Algarve. If occasional sailing, maybe consider dry sailing out of Bruce's.

[3889]

Visit site
I've just overwintered in Albufeira and have no complaints. Staff are V. helpful, utilities consistent though wifi slow (I think you can pay extra for fast but didn't bother), showers slightly whiffy but clean & hot. Nearest proper supermarket is 1 mile up a hill but there is a bus o/s the marina and a Spar (currently closed by covid) at the marina. Great walks along cliffs to the west. I would return.
Think Ayamonte only offer day or annual rates, no probs if you want to stay a year. VRSA was my 1st choice but full and, with 15% premium for the long pontoon (the only potential availability) was not very competitive, the town is a bit seedy and, as per Graham, can be hairy at half tide, esp. in a southerly.

Last edited:

Visit site
We plan to move from Cascais to the Algarve - probably the East end - in a couple of years time, the major driver being the quality of the sailing there compared to Lisbon/Cascais. I would be grateful for any insights into the marinas in the Algarve, particularly at the Eastern end - the good, the bad and the ugly. I have already put my name on the waiting list for Olhao - I am around number 800, so not convinced anything will come up in the right timeframe!
In a couple of years time? The situation could well be very different. Having had a berth in Olhao since the begining I have seen the situation vary. The marina is due to be greatly enlarged to take in the berths to the east but due to the covid chaos no one knows. Just keep an eye open and be patient. Olhao has a lot going for it.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
As 25931 said it could be very different in two years time , thing are changing quite a lot everywhere,
I see Turkey prices are going up much more then ever before as they expecting more non eu boats to arrive this winter , I think your question will be better ask nearer the time .
There a chance we be in Portugal end of this year , I wait till we arrive and sums it out then .

Peter Morgan

Visit site
Currently in Ayamonte marina, been here all winter and taken out annual contract. €5300 year for 14m. In our opion very good location, up down coast, up/down river gardininia. Everything in walking distance of marina, shops, bars,restaurants etc, nice town for walking, drink and food.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Currently in Ayamonte marina, been here all winter and taken out annual contract. €5300 year for 14m. In our opion very good location, up down coast, up/down river gardininia. Everything in walking distance of marina, shops, bars,restaurants etc, nice town for walking, drink and food.

Cheaper option if one can be found is a mooring, mine has cost me a total of roughly €2,250 for 15 years :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Anchoring up the Guardiana is quite popular.
Not a place I want to be in the winter months with all the crap that comes down there plus it can be a very fast river at times.

Its been some years since I been there but I remember clearly having to clear rubbish from around my anchor chain each day.

Visit site
Not a place I want to be in the winter months with all the crap that comes down there plus it can be a very fast river at times.

Its been some years since I been there but I remember clearly having to clear rubbish from around my anchor chain each day.
It isn't like being in a marina and that is a good reason for being there?

goeasy123

Visit site

Up the Guadiana is the roughest anchorage we've ever been on. Ebb tide on top of a rain assisted flow against a 20kt wind...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Talking from someone who have a lot of experience living on the hook in anything that's thrown at us , we spend a month on the Guadiana some years back , it was in the days when you could use the pontoon up by the village, the days before selfish people hog it and wouldn't get off it .
One morning we had a loud bang and tho someone hit us only to find it was a fridge floating down the river , another morning we had to spend some time clearing a quite large tree from the bow , most morning there was some thing that needed to be cleared .
It not a place I would want to spend winter on the hook although I understand some do.
Its a lovely river to spend a bit of time on.

We never been marina people , we spend some months each winter in one as it convenient if we need to visit families, get on with work and also get to met and make new friends and to be honest as one get older our marinas stop over have gone from a couple of months in the winter to four or five of cause with covid its now more like six ,
We start our season some time this week after four and a half months marina stay ,
We off for a few weeks sailing but will be returning back to the marina as we have quite a lots of parts and parcels thats stuck in the post other wise we probably wouldn't be coming back.

[3889]

Visit site

Multi storey car parks aren't particularly attractive either but sometimes a pleasant ambiance isn't the only consideration.

0_caredit2.jpg