East Coast USA - Norfolk/Delaware/New York

Dave100456

Visit site
I am in the very early stages of researching locations around Norfolk/Delaware/New York to lift and store our 45ft sailing yacht between May and August 2019.

Do any members have suggestions as to areas or yards that may be suitable please? I'd appreciate some "pointing in the right direction" before I do more research.

I have a preference for functional rather than aesthetic marinas and ones that are secure, reasonably priced and allow self work to be done please. I prefer "working yards" over fully serviced operations that may frown upon owners working on their own boats.

Thank you

Dave

AndrewB

Visit site
You might try reposting this question on the US "Cruisers & Sailing Forum" website (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/) where there will be more local knowledge than here.

There are certainly good places capable of lifting you, but my personal experience of doing this is now too long ago to make a recommendation. The cheaper, more 'functional' marinas in northern North Carolina, around the Chesapeake, and up the Hudson River do tend to be out in the sticks where public transportation may be limited or non-existent; a consideration if you are planning on leaving the boat.

Last edited:

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...researching locations around Norfolk, Delaware, New York to lift and store our 45ft sailing yacht...

Your best source of information/reviews will be found here:
https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/Map

You'll find all the options here, though I would suggest that you start your search by looking at reviews for the Deltaville Marina/Boatyard @ 37.33N 076.20W - west side of Chesapeake bay, about 20M south of the Potomac River mouth; we didn't haul there, but had planned to and several friends have - all were pleased with their choice - and I'd be very surprised if you find anywhere better in your chosen area.
As a rule of thumb, the further north you go the more expensive it'll be and unless you have contacts/connections, anywhere around NY in particular will prove horrendously expensive.