East Coast IOM Overnight Stop Recommendations Please

dewent

Visit site
We are planning a trip stopping a couple of days on the east coast of the IOM. Been to Ramsey and Douglas on previous visits. With wind forecast from the SW anyone have any recommendations? Keen not just to anchor/moor, would like a run ashore to explore and visit some good hostelries.

SAMYL

Visit site
Castletown is good if you don't mind drying out against the pier. Otherwise Port St Mary but don't raft up alongside a fishing boat without permission.

earlybird

Visit site
I'd second Castletown, esp. above the footbridge. Otherwise, if staying afloat is necessary, the inner end of Pt. St. Mary outer pier has a designated visitor section, but rafting will be the norm.
Visitors buoys at PSM give easy shore access and possibly more P&Q.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
PSM in a SW is your place though for old world charm Castletown is great - limited tidal access above the footbridge so make sure it fits with your passage plans.

dewent

Visit site
It looks like PSM then as its forecast F5/6 overnight Saturday night.

We draw 2.2m so need to be careful - does this mean that the inner end of the pier will be too shallow - especially as its a spring tide on Sat night? If so does anyone know how close the visitor buoys are are we likely to be stuck offshore in a sea too choppy for a dingy ride ashore?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
There are two visitor moorings in Garwick Bay, just south of Laxey. I've never used them, but they look quite snug from above. A longish trip by dinghy into Laxey, though, which might make me rethink my purist insistence on oars. Probably terrible in a SW.

Aja

Visit site
Been into Port St Mary a couple of times. Can't recommend the visitors moorings. Even in a flat calm a scend comes round and into the bay. Last time we were on the moorings (in flat calm) we cleared out at 04:30. Since then we tucked onto the quay as others have stated. Much better for your nerves. A phone call to the harbour master will let you know availability and depth.

Peel is a much better option imo although you are governed by the cill

Regards
Donald

Last edited:

lpdsn

Visit site
Peel is a much better option imo although you are governed by the cill

Although rumour has it they might have difficulty with a 2.2m draught. I'm going to be giving them a call in the next week or two to see if they can handle 2.1m these days.

IanH

Visit site
Although rumour has it they might have difficulty with a 2.2m draught. I'm going to be giving them a call in the next week or two to see if they can handle 2.1m these days.

Peel dredged this year to 2.5 m so you will be fine. It's where I keep my boat.