East angle and the Old Point House

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
We took a land trip to the above last weekend at low tide. The pub is very attractive and the bay seems tenable for a lunch hook stop outside the seasonal moorings. It’s shallow, but around high tide probably not too shallow for our 1.2m draft. There’s a rough concrete wall to pull the tender up to. Has anybody tried it recently in a bilge or fin keel yacht without drying out?

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I did it a few years ago in my Shetland (draught 30cm)
It’s on my list for my bk (1m) as a possible overnighter rather than a lunch stop trip to the pub, probably on a neap with HW at beer time (9-11pm) to take the tender ashore without dragging it back through mud and weed at a spring LW about the same time.
If you do try it, I’d be interested in how it went

tico

Visit site
The Point House is the favoured haunt of the local Lifeboat crew, and certainly was one at the top of our list for a lunchtime stopover especially at Angle regatta. Allegedly the fire was kept going for 200 years continuously.
In recent years however , the owner left and it was vacant for a year or two. Been recently revived by the guy that runs Cafe Mor at Freshwater West.
I would have thought its bit shallow for Karisma to stay other than on neaps... be OK for a bilge keeler.

graham

Visit site
I went there about 4 or 5 years ago when the pub was with the previous owners .

Our boat then was a fin keel with 1.2 m draught there was plenty of water over high water . We were going to anchor but a helpful local directed us on to an empty mooring. Had a pint then motored back out into deeper water to anchor for the night.

With a bilge keeler I think you could dry out on the beach by the pub.

Tremyporth

Visit site
The bottom in East Angle Bay is fairly level once you get beyond the sloping beach, with mud off the pub , and sand further east. But beware of the rocks in the middle of the bay, between Angle and the refinery to the east. At high tide the outer moorings have about 14 feet (remember them?) water depth: at low water neaps there is about 3 feet. At Springs most of the bay dries completely. So with 1.2 metre draft your plan should work over any high tide, but at low water only try it at neaps, and then best to stay east of the pub. To avoid landing from dinghy into mud at low tide, land well to the east of the concrete jetty. If in doubt, and if the wind direction suits, you can anchor and be sure of staying afloat a bit further out, between the lifeboat house and Angle Point. Apart from the Point House, there is a pleasant walk along the coast path to West Angle Bay , then back through the village, perhaps pausing at the Hibernian Inn. Also worth a visit en route is Chapel Bay Fort.

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
The bottom in East Angle Bay is fairly level once you get beyond the sloping beach, with mud off the pub , and sand further east. But beware of the rocks in the middle of the bay, between Angle and the refinery to the east. At high tide the outer moorings have about 14 feet (remember them?) water depth: at low water neaps there is about 3 feet. At Springs most of the bay dries completely. So with 1.2 metre draft your plan should work over any high tide, but at low water only try it at neaps, and then best to stay east of the pub. To avoid landing from dinghy into mud at low tide, land well to the east of the concrete jetty. If in doubt, and if the wind direction suits, you can anchor and be sure of staying afloat a bit further out, between the lifeboat house and Angle Point. Apart from the Point House, there is a pleasant walk along the coast path to West Angle Bay , then back through the village, perhaps pausing at the Hibernian Inn. Also worth a visit en route is Chapel Bay Fort.
Thanks very much that is great local knowledge.