DVD Player on board

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
I am thinking about buying a second-hand 12 inch Bush DVD player for a bit of entertainment on board at anchor.
There is virtually no phone signal/wifi up the Butley Creek. I don't go sailing to watch TV in the evenings but a DVD film after dinner would suit me fine.
Its spec says it has a battery life of 3 hours or plugs into car socket, which I have.
Any experience of these players? Or would I be better off buying a second-hand laptop with a built in DVD player?

Poignard

Visit site
I bought a DVD player in France and it is a good thing to have. I also have a laptop but I found that we had to sit right in front of the screen to watch but the DVD player has a wider angle of display. The only snag i have with the DVD player is low volume so I have a pair of loudspeakers that I plug into it.

RupertW

Visit site
I feel the same but on board we do use an old laptop to watch DVDs which have otherwise disappeared from my life in favour of streaming and downloads.

Issue with downloads for me is that they can expire and they can fail to work if you are detected as being abroad.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Bush 12" DVD player is about £80. Might make sense if OP was getting one for under £40 and isn't very tech. savvy. A cheap tablet makes more sense if OP can find one at a reasonable price.

I bought a Fire 7" on Black Friday for £30 and that made more sense than a DVD player. I did spend a little time disabling all the Amazon stuff and making it look more like a standard Android. I find 7" OK for personal viewing but would prefer a 15" screen if both of us were viewing.

Last edited:

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
As the OP, thank you for comments. I am fairly tech savvy. I have a small modern tablet which I rarely use, bedside news etc.
I quite like the idea of a dedicated unit which is simple to use and has a decent screen size. There are Bush 12" players on ebay for £30 which I am willing to spend. I recently unplugged my redundant home DVD player because I haven't used it for years. I have quite a few discs which I could watch again. Its a fading technology but fairly modern up to date movies are still available either secondhand or from the library up the road (£3 a week).
I also have an old piece of sound kit which is battery operated.
This is just for a Saturday Night Movie treat. Otherwise its books or my trusty old car radio (stereo).
Just as a thought, where do you download movies from? I know YouTube has some but they all seem quite old.
Or are you suggesting downloading DVD's through my computer on to a tablet? If so, why not just play them through a purpose made device?
Fortunetly there are no youth in my life these days to laugh at my suggestions. I saw a VHS player in a customers house recently.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Issue with downloads for me is that they can expire and they can fail to work if you are detected as being abroad.

Transponder TV works fine abroad for most UK channels and allows recording as well -
https://www.transponder.tv/channels

I plug notebook into TV with HDMI lead when streaming and can watch DVDs via external drive but ages since we've done so.

Plenty of torrents around via PB proxy servers if you want to download films.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
We don't watch too much TV and have a couple of devices able to record to hard disk. One is pretty old but gives a range of quality, small file size is fine for the boat's TV. The Sagem does allow downloading to USB as ".ts" (basically MPEG-2 format).

We start the season with quite a few programs we didn't get around to viewing. My wife has a few things she likes to watch during the summer and they appear as torrents a day after airing. I used to download them for iPlayer via VPN but BBC made that a bit of a hassle. I don't feel guilty about the torrents as I pay a TV lic. for 12 months and am only able to watch for 4-5 months. It would be nice to get an online code using my valid licence but it isn't going to happen and I'm not losing sleep over watching when abroad. I could set things to record during the summer catch up over winter and have even more on USB the following year, not very sensible.

I use Flud to download to phone and Tixati on Windows. Plenty of torrents for films but we rarely watch a film because my wife will nod off after 30 minutes.:D I suppose it would be pretty safe to download old films regularly aired on TV anyway. Illegal of course, but I doubt anyone would get too worked up about it, just keep away from films not yet released. I imagine these have the highest risk of getting a dodgy download. I just follow a few simple rules with the BBC stuff and haven't had a problem, though not exactly downloading and sharing lots of multi-GB files each day.

I used to connect my HUDL2 via HDMI and watch on TV. Nowadays I use a bare Raspberry Pi Zero W (no soldered pins) in a tiny case with an HDMI adapter and small USB hub. Probably cost about £20 for the bits. It runs OSMC and remote controlled via smart phone. Very useful and I also carry it around to use it in hotel rooms when travelling around. A small USB stick holds enough video content for several weeks.

Last edited:
Visit site
we have a 12v LED tv which uses next to no electric, if the sun is still up our solar panel is enough to run it, it does have a DVD inbuilt drive but we usually stick a USB stick into it or stream netflix from our phones via the usb dongle.

the DVDs on board are quite old and are last a resort to be honest, The games cupboard is quite healthy though and that generally sees more use when we're out and about and they dont use electric or require signal!

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Rather than a relatively small DVD, I would get yourself a small data projector. Make sure it takes USB With a white sheet on the other side of the saloon you then have BIG movie screen. I do have a DVD player as you'd plug into a laptop to link to the projector, but now tend to download movies onto my phone and then cast from my phone to the projector via a Miracast device that costs only £15 on Amazon

TudorSailor

Poignard

Visit site
Rather than a relatively small DVD, I would get yourself a small data projector. Make sure it takes USB With a white sheet on the other side of the saloon you then have BIG movie screen. I do have a DVD player as you'd plug into a laptop to link to the projector, but now tend to download movies onto my phone and then cast from my phone to the projector via a Miracast device that costs only £15 on Amazon

TudorSailor

According to his profile he has a Leisure 23. A projector and screen might be rather de trop. :D