Duty Free

G

It seems to me that not many yachties leaving on a long cruise take advantage of this facility. We always do. The rules are simple.

Your boat must be Class one register and above a certain minimum tonnage. Fare Well was 21 tons net and was eligible without being that big, and I have known a 14 tonner get supplied.

Your EVENTUAL destination must be outside the EU. This does not mean the first port of call, it means the final destination. One our first cruise it was Singapore, then we filed barbados, Odessa, Istanbul and Port Said at other times.

You first find a supplier of bonded stores. These ar not that common, and at one time could not be much bothered with yachts, but now that feries cannot embark bonded stores, some of them welcome a little extra business. he will fill out a C&E form which you take to the Waterguard (which is called something else mow, but does the same job. They will want to know details of the boat, the destination, the expected number of days on voyage and the number of crew.

There is an arcane table that they deny exisrts, but which they always go behind the door to consult. Provided you have not grossly overcalled, he will stamp your form and you take it back to the bonded warehouse and they deliver the goods on board the day before you sail.

The savings are considerable. Drink is only sold by the case, but a case of good rum costs about £36. I do not know the table but a yacht with a crew of 4 on a voyage of 200 days, should be able to embark ten cases.

It is quite legal.

If you do have to put into a British port without getting to your declared destination, then you enter harbour with an overhand knot in the ensign and pay duty on any left-overs.

G

Re: Duty Free CONSUMPTION ..

4 crew for 200 days with ten cases is the equivalent to 1/6th of a bottle per crew member per day every day. Not bad rations.

PS skipper having his own stock.

G

Very few questions asked in Nieupoort, Belgium. See the KJCN marina manager and he will give you an order form for next day delivery. They even bring it to the boat in a dory! And just in case time is limited you can fax an order from the UK. We had the Waterpolice on board when it was delivered and they said we could buy as much as we liked.

Happy Saving

Dave S