Dull varnish

stephen_h

Visit site
I have a lot of varnished teak in the interior of our boat that is looking a bit tired.

Is there anything I can put on it to bring it back to life?

All the various oils say not to put over varnish but that is the sort of thing I was thinking off.
Don't want to re-varnish.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Really revarnishing is the only long term solution. Short term results may be achieved with a fine polishing compound but nothing will achieve the same results as a fresh coat of varnish.

PhillM

Visit site
Depending on what the varnish was, you may find that a quick sand then use of Rapidcoat is a good way forward. In future you only need to wipe with bi-ethernol (clear meths) and you can add another coat. So you take the pain once and can then forever spruce up at will.

SAMYL

Visit site
I had the same problem on my old Westerly and couldn't face stripping it all off.

Someone suggested 'Patina', a gel substance that you rub on which gives excellent results. Tins of Patina are available on Ebay and at some retailers, fairly cheap and easy to apply.

Just make sure the wood is clean and dry, rub it on and that's it. You could do the whole boat in under a day.

It did about six years an my boat before I sold it and still looked good.

stephen_h

Visit site
Had a look an Ebay but not sure which one to use.

Don't suppose you remember what make you used?

Sounds like just what I need :)

jamie N

Visit site
You're doing a great job of marketing this SAMYL; I've ordered some for my fully varnished Folkboat! Worth the £11 out of sheer curiosity alone.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Many moons ago I was going to do some re varnishing and it was suggested to use Marine Ottrowal (sp?) to prep for varnishing.
I put it on then got called away and didn't get back till the next day. I was surprised to see that the varnish looked as good as new, so didn't re varnish. ;)

stephen_h

Visit site
Haven't used the Patina on the boat yet but have done kitchen worktops
and very impressed with the finish. Will be a good test to see how
long it lasts but easy to apply.