Dufour 2800 - Fitting Cabin Heating

skipper021

Visit site
I am currently figuring out a 2kw diesel cabin heating installation on my Dufour 2800, and wanted to see if anyone on this forum has cabin heating installed on their 2800?

I am specifically looking to find out where the heater unit is sited and the route of the warm air trunking to the outlet vents.

My first thoughts were to site the heater unit in the cockpit locker on the fwd bulkhead, but this would result in either a 90 degree bend in the heater trunking, or the trunking being lead across the base of the locker vulnerable to damage (but it could be boxed in I guess) The exhaust run would also be quite long here.

Currently, I am leaning towards locating the heater unit in the transom void aft of the starboard quarter berth, (short exhaust run to the transom outlet) with warm air trunking leading forward to the cabin outlet above the inner liner.

Any suggestions on installation locations very welcome!

Hot Property

Visit site
If you are considering a DIY install then this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2KW-12V-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 is what I have just fitted. It has the aluminium body which seems more robust than the plastic bodied versions. Most Chinese heaters are 5kW but can be turned down to limit output. There is a very long thread on the forum which dispels some of the myths about them. I'm really pleased with the product and at about 1/15th of the cost of a D4 is almost a consumable!

Forum discussion:- http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?511722-Good-Value-Boat-heaters

Last edited:

skipper021

Visit site
If you are considering a DIY install then this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2KW-12V-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 is what I have just fitted. It has the aluminium body which seems more robust than the plastic bodied versions. Most Chinese heaters are 5kW but can be turned down to limit output. There is a very long thread on the forum which dispels some of the myths about them. I'm really pleased with the product and at about 1/15th of the cost of a D4 is almost a consumable!

Forum discussion:- http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?511722-Good-Value-Boat-heaters

That is almost exactly what I have bought! Now I'm just deciding on the best mounting location on a Dufour 2800, hence my post!

skipper021

Visit site
Ours is mounted in the “tiller flat” space at the stern. Not brilliant for access but out of the way and not likely to get anything dropped on it! Short exhaust run and the ducting runs in the gap between the fuel tank and the center bulkhead. Works for us on a Bavaria 38.

Thanks, Is this the mounting location on a Dufour 2800?
The thing is there isn't room either side of the engine for the ducting, and the batteries take up all of the space under the starboard side quarter berth.

ashtead

Visit site
In my experience fitters put them in the most inaccessible position in the stern void so access is via an internal hatch in stern cabin into this void. I guess you might find guidance on an owners website for your vessel though . Newer vessels often have precursor for piping . I wonder where the closest position is to your diesel tank as this might drive location of heater ?

Hot Property

Visit site
That is almost exactly what I have bought! Now I'm just deciding on the best mounting location on a Dufour 2800, hence my post!

If fitting a silencer inboard, make sure you float test the one supplied as it is only spot welded. PM me for a link to a proper one if you like!

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I have a Dufour Classic 30 and have decided in principle to fit a similar heater. My thinking is that I can mount it in the space between the quarterberth and the transom and run ducting through the cockpit locker, the outboard cabinetry in the head and terminating with an outlet at the nav station, with outlets branched off along the way for the quarter-berth and the head. The previous owner replaced the original fuel tank, between the cockpit locker and the head, with a larger one in said space at the transom. The downside is that it is a very awkward area to work in with any degree of comfort, as I discovered when repairing the manual bilge pump. On the other hand the proximity of the fuel tank makes that part of the plumbing a bit easier, and the exhaust run will be short. It has occurred to me to enlarge the access hatch to this area, which I intend to investigate when next at the boat.