Duette outboard well

paul.dlf

Visit site
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice regarding the outboard well on my Hunter Duette. At the moment I have to lift the outboard in to the well from where it lives under the cockpit and it's a bit of a struggle, especially when sailing. The outboard itself is a 2012 Mariner 6hp long shaft and although it's well serviced and looked after, it's quite noisy in the well and also the well seems to trap fumes in the cockpit.

Having previously had a Sonata with an outboard bracket on the transom, I'm thinking of fitting a transom bracket on the Duette and making a plug for the well. I could then leave the outboard on the bracket. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about this please?

Also I'm thinking of changing to a smaller/lighter outboard. Can anyone recommend a good light weight in the 4 to 5hp category?

Many thanks,

Paul

seumask

Visit site
We had the bigger sister the Hunter delta, with an outboard in the well of the port quarter locker. I would stick with the outboard in a well. Prior to that we had a smaller Medina with an outboard on the transom. That was harder to live with.
Not sure why you have a long shaft , we had a short shaft which you could have up while sailing and insert the blanking plug for more speed on starboard tack.
So in my experience a transom hung outboard is more noisy and harder to get to as you have to lean out over the back of the boat to do most things with it, rather than standing in the cockpit next to it!
If the Mariner 6 is the 2 cylinder 2 stroke beast of some age, then definitely change it for one of the lighter and quieter 4 stoke's. We replaced a Yamaha 8 2 stroke with a Tohatsu 5hp 4 stoke and it was just as capable, quieter and much more fuel efficient, although much the same weight.
We also used the tender's 2 stroke Mariner 3.3 in the Delta on occasion and that was very light and managed well enough, so there plenty of options!

davesparkes

Visit site
Hi Paul,

I share a Duette with my father and had the same outboard headaches as you.

We bought the boat with a 4hp Mercury longshaft, which ran roughly. It turns out that the installation had two issues: the longshaft was inappropriate for the 'transom depth' of the Duette well and was causing too much exhaust back-pressure; and the engine was choking on its own fumes at idle.

After looking around we settled on a short-shaft Honda BF6, not the lightest motor but the quality seems much higher than other brands we looked at, for not much additional cost. It also has a clever recoil starter which decompresses the cylinder when first pulled, making it fairly easy to start. However, the BF6 is a touch too long to fit into the well when using the standard well insert; so we removed the insert and bolted-in a simple bracket instead (I can send you a photo if you advise your email address).

This left the issue of choking-up on the exhaust, which we solved by fitting a bilge fan under the locker lid which exhausts out through a fitting in the transom. Again, I can send you a picture of how we arranged this.

We also used to have a Sonata with a transom bracket which made it very easy to lift the engine clear of the water. However, now that we have sorted the issues of getting the outboard working properly in the well, it's a much more convenient, secure and better-looking installation than having an engine hanging off the transom. I'm curious as to why you remove the engine and store it under the cockpit? Ours stays in place in the well, locked away under the hinged covers? All we need to sort now is some kind of fairing to minimise drag caused by the well...

Hope this helps! By all means send me a PM if you think I can help further.

Cheers,
Dave

PeterV

Visit site
I have a Duette with a Tohatsu 6hp short shaft in the well. It is a bit noisy, which I assume is the surrounding locker vibrating and I believe some have fitted insulation to quieten it. I don't have any problems with the exhaust, so I presume it exits under water, as I usually run with the locker closed. I lift mine out, either to lie across the stern locker or to place under the cockpit to stop marine growth.

fredrussell

Visit site
I have a 26ft boat with outboard in a well. Previous boat was 23ft with outboard on port side of transom. Terrible setup. Motoring in big swell the prop would often come out of the water and rev its tits off. Keep it in the well. Other benefit of well is prop forward of rudder - better all round.

paul.dlf

Visit site
Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your reply. I think I'm suffering from the same problems. It would be really useful to see a picture of the mounting arrangement and I'll pm you my email address.

Thanks again.

Paul

coveman

Visit site
Paul,
I have an Etap22i with similar engine in the well. Etap got over the problem of fumes in the cockpit by tapping an exhaust outlet into the back of the engine and then this is fed through a fitting (pipe basically) which exits the rear of the hull so no fumes enter the cockpit. This works well and when you take the outboard off to stow, the outlet (plastic Yamaha exhaust pipe) comes with it - all quite simple.

The outboard in the well has the advantage that the leg is always in the water whatever the state of the sea or angle of the boat whereas on the transom the prop can be in or out of the water in steep waves. I do exactly as you do and store it in the cabin to avoid it being in salt water all the time, but I know others who leave them on! Steerage is also better as previously said.

I would also be reluctant to ditch your 2 stroke - the engines are simple and if you lay it down in the cockpit you do not have the same worry as a four stroke. The weight is also likely to be higher although the weight of new four strokes are better than they were.

I did consider fitting a bracket on the transom so I could use a 2.5hp outboard just to get away from my mooring which is in a rather crowded area, before putting the sails up, but have not done so to date.

Noise can be limited a bit by putting some sound proofing around the engine well but it is obviously important that the engine is ventilated.

FarmerGiles2

Visit site
I have a Tohatsu 5hp 4 stroke outboard standard length shaft in a well in a Hunter Duette. I always run it with the hatch open: it's a bit noisy but no problems otherwise. Getting it in and out is awkward, but I leave the motor in the well all season, so Its a problem that only arises a few times per year.

131dom

Visit site
Hi Paul,

I share a Duette with my father and had the same outboard headaches as you.

We bought the boat with a 4hp Mercury longshaft, which ran roughly. It turns out that the installation had two issues: the longshaft was inappropriate for the 'transom depth' of the Duette well and was causing too much exhaust back-pressure; and the engine was choking on its own fumes at idle.

After looking around we settled on a short-shaft Honda BF6, not the lightest motor but the quality seems much higher than other brands we looked at, for not much additional cost. It also has a clever recoil starter which decompresses the cylinder when first pulled, making it fairly easy to start. However, the BF6 is a touch too long to fit into the well when using the standard well insert; so we removed the insert and bolted-in a simple bracket instead (I can send you a photo if you advise your email address).

This left the issue of choking-up on the exhaust, which we solved by fitting a bilge fan under the locker lid which exhausts out through a fitting in the transom. Again, I can send you a picture of how we arranged this.

We also used to have a Sonata with a transom bracket which made it very easy to lift the engine clear of the water. However, now that we have sorted the issues of getting the outboard working properly in the well, it's a much more convenient, secure and better-looking installation than having an engine hanging off the transom. I'm curious as to why you remove the engine and store it under the cockpit? Ours stays in place in the well, locked away under the hinged covers? All we need to sort now is some kind of fairing to minimise drag caused by the well...

Hope this helps! By all means send me a PM if you think I can help further.

Cheers,
Dave
Hi Dave,
I have a Duette also and am suffering the same problem with my engine cutting out when idling.
I have a long shaft Yamaha F6 which came with the boat. My question is will getting a short shaft cure the exhaust problem or is it a case of not enough ventilation caused by the locker system?

davesparkes

Visit site
Hi 131dom,

Have you tried running the motor with the locker lids open and the locker front removed? If so, does it still cut out? In my experience, a ventilation system is required for satisfactory engine operation, and I would try this before replacing the engine. CO is heavier than air so I guess it's good practice to vent the exhaust overboard, anyway....

Whether the potential over-immersion of the leg is also affecting the running I guess depends on the engine design, so this is more subjective. However, I think it's logical to assume that greater-than-designed-for exhaust back pressure could cause slow-speed running issues. Perhaps it's worth marking the water level on the leg when installed on the boat and then running the engine ashore in a wheelie bin to simulate the conditions?

Good luck!
Cheers,
Dave