Dublin to Cork (and possibly beyond)

mick

Visit site
I'n planning a trip from the Clyde to Cork in May/June. I'm familiar with the bit as far as Dublin but I'd be grateful for any info regarding marinas, anchorages, restaurants (!), etc. between there and Cork.

Quandary

Visit site
Definitely make time to go beyond, West Cork is a fantastic cruising ground with great harbours and villages and warmer and sunnier than Scotland. Favourite places Kinsale, Castletownshend, Schull, Castletown Bearhaven, Skellig Michael, but there are dozens. The local forumites will have more up to date details.
You need the ICC Cruising Directions 'South and West Coasts of Ireland' which lists all the bays and harbours, available from Kelvin Hughes, Amazon etc.

mick

Visit site
Quandary;2896591 You need the ICC Cruising Directions 'South and West Coasts of Ireland' which lists all the bays and harbours said:
Yes, got that, plus charts. Would love to do full circumnavigation, but I've talked to various people who've done it and not one recommends it from sailing point of view. Apparently the swell makes life very uncomfortable.

chrisclin

Visit site
I'n planning a trip from the Clyde to Cork in May/June. I'm familiar with the bit as far as Dublin but I'd be grateful for any info regarding marinas, anchorages, restaurants (!), etc. between there and Cork.

We did Oban to Cork a couple of years ago on our way to Brittany. From Dublin the tide has a big impact but fortunately there are marinas conveniently situated about 6 hours apart. We stopped in Arklow (a tiny little marina - don't park in the pontoons in the river, the main sewage outlet seems to enter the river there) and Kilmore Quay. We picked up a buoy off Helvick, then another one in the Youghal river where we were stormbound for a day. Both free. I understand that Helvick is not to be recommended as their buoys are not maintained and one had gone walkabout the previous week. Fortunately it was a flat calm the night we were there.
Pubs and restaurants abound everywhere - if you can afford it. We found Southern Ireland extremely expensive in 2009, so much so that France seemed cheap. Things may have changed with the financial crisis but I doubt it!
Enjoy, the people are wonderful and the sailing is pretty good too.

CLP

Visit site
West of Cork and the whole west coast of Ireland is well worth a visit. We circumnavigated Ireland, Troon to Troon, clockwise a couple of years ago. 950 miles over 2 weeks and 3 days. Only one night sail doing Troon to Howth in one go to get started. After that very manageable day sails all the way.
The swell on the west can be huge but it all adds to the drama. There are plenty of lovely anchorages and harbours and it is usually possible to find shelter out of the swell.
There are quite a few spots with free visitors moorings (yellow buoys). The welcome everywhere was fantastic and wherever you stop you never seem to be very far from a pub.
Getting diesel alongside can be difficult. We took jerry cans ashore and were always able to get some from someone who knew someone who would be along with some soon.
As mentioned in other posts the ICC pilots for Ireland are very good, we used them along with Imray charts.
Have a good trip.

marko99

Visit site
Mick, I'd certainly echo the comments of other posters about trying to make time to cruise west of Cork, you will find it far more enjoyable and rewarding than the bit between Dublin and Cork. However, that wasn't your question, so here are a few comments which might help :

The best stopping off places between Dublin and Cork are probably Arklow, Kilmore Quay and Helvick or Dungarvan.

Arklow has not much going for it as a town (ducks to avoid brickbats), but has a small marina and is a handy stopping off place to provision, eat ashore if you want, and from which to time your departure for the leg which will take you "around the corner". The tides at the corner and from Arklow down to there are pretty ferocious so some good passage planning is essential. After the corner, Kilmore Quay is a busy fishing harbour with a nice small marina. The town is very small but has great fish and chips and a couple of pubs. After that, Helvick has been mentioned already. Depending on whether you can take the bottom or not, you might be able to get inside Helvick Harbour, however, there's not much (or anything really) nearby and I wouldn't recommend a mooring outside it. Dungarvan Harbour itself has a small pontoon in the centre of the town operated by the local sailing club but it's very tidal and you will sit in the mud at low water. Reminder that the pontoon to which you are tied will continue to drop after your boat has stopped dropping ! From Dungarvan it's an easy enough sail to Cork Harbour but don't stop there, keep heading west !

If you do have the time, take a look at Kinsale, Glandore, Schull, Baltimore, Crookhaven, Cape Clear Island to name but a few.

Hope this helps,

Mark
Sadler 29 Faoileán
Bray, Co. Wicklow