DSC Radio - programming

asteven221

Visit site
I didn't want to hijack the other DSC thread that's ongoing, but it reminded me that my DSC radio is still related to the previous owner of our boat i.e. the mmsi number.

Additionally I have an mmsi number from my old boat related to me.

I suspect that pressing the red button in an emergency is going to the give the emergency services details of a guy that lives 600 miles away from me! Not ideal! I threfore would refrain from using that feature should an emergency take place, however I could do with getting this corrected. Is there anyone able to remind me what the procedure is to get my own number on to my VHF, or my details to match the current mmsi number? If my details are to be matched with the current mmsi number - what happens to the blokes details that used to have the number. I know he has another boat somewhere.

One wonders how many other DSC sets are in this situation, especially if my memory serves me right and the radio has to go back to the manufacturer for programming. What a lot of faffing about that would be.

Thanks for any advice.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Regarding the radio, you have to send it back to the manufacturer to have the old mmsi number erased, then you can enter the one for your new boat. Post the make and model and no doubt someone will provide details (which should be in the manual if you have it)

But if the radio came with the boat, the mmsi number should remain the same so no need to change anything on the radio, just update the ships licence on the Ofcom website.

You only need to go through the bother of erasing and re entering the mmsi if you are keeping the radio for use on a different boat.

Last edited:

Plevier

Visit site
Regarding the radio, you have to send it back to the manufacturer to have the old mmsi number erased, then you can enter the one for your new boat. Post the make and model and no doubt someone will provide details (which should be in the manual if you have it)

Some e.g. MTech let you change it yourself. Agree many do have to go back but worth checking.

Playtime

Visit site
But if the radio came with the boat, the mmsi number should remain the same so no need to change anything on the radio, just update the ships licence on the Ofcom website.

You only need to go through the bother of erasing and re entering the mmsi if you are keeping the radio for use on a different boat.

ProDave is correct - the words from the Ofcom site are as follows

You can’t transfer a licence to your name.
Licences are non-transferable as a call sign and MMSI number stays with a vessel for life .
You will therefore need to apply for a new licence in your name, retaining the call sign and MMSI number of the vessel.

The Ofcom site is here. You will need to register first, if you aren't already.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
ProDave is correct - the words from the Ofcom site are as follows

You can’t transfer a licence to your name.
Licences are non-transferable as a call sign and MMSI number stays with a vessel for life .
You will therefore need to apply for a new licence in your name, retaining the call sign and MMSI number of the vessel.

The Ofcom site is here. You will need to register first, if you aren't already.

Yes that's just what I did.

I went to the Ofcom website, entered the boats details, name etc. It asked if there was an MMSI number already, so I entered what was on the ships licence that came with the boat.

Lo and behold, I now have a ships licence for the boat in my name, but with the same mmsi number as before. So no need to change the mmsi in the radio that came with the boat.

So while technically it's a "new" licence in my name, they ported the mmsi number and callsign over from the old licence.

Last edited:

cdogg

Visit site
I just did.

I went to the Ofcom website, entered the boats details, name etc. It asked if there was an MMSI number already, so I entered what was on the ships licence that came with the boat.

Lo and behold, I now have a ships licence for the boat in my name, but with the same mmsi number as before. So no need to change the mmsi in the radio that came with the boat.

So while techically it's a "new" licence in my name, they ported the mmsi number over from the old licence.

I did the the same - simple if you follow the instructions, not my strongest suit!

Bilgediver

Visit site
I

Additionally I have an mmsi number from my old boat related to me..

No ........ As others are saying, The MMSI number is related to the boat not the owner and stays with the boat even when the owner changes. The radio on your new boat does not need re programming if you are keeping it. and you should have left the old radio in your old boat.