Drinking Ban

Opsguy1979

Visit site
Hi folks!

Some of you may seen on the bbc that all vesels over 23ft or capable of a speed greater than 6kts will be effected by a new law where you can no longer drink on board! This is talking in the context of coastal etc but how do you think it will effect us river folk??

Karl /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif(not for much longer)

TrueBlue

Visit site
Yup!

Sorry to say - even on the Thames; both bits (and probably canals as well) we're subject to a raft of legislation originally drafted for ships at sea. For example the Merchant Shipping Act(s) and regulations issued the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

go figure.

Best thing to do is not to go boating when pissed, or at least don't have a collision or an accident.

I was going to say don't look as if you're not in control, but I'm very sad to say this applies to many folks who are stone cold sober anyway....

SimonA

Visit site
Re: Yup!

It's boats over 23ft and capable of more than 7 knots. Perhaps you could just limit your engine to say 6 knots (still above the speed limit on some rivers) and still be able to enjoy a couple of glasses of wine.

But how are they going to catch you anyway? Breath tests at locks?

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk

The proposed regulations will be applied to the navigation of vessels which are more than 7 metres (about 23ft) in length AND/OR capable of a maximum speed of over 7 knots.

In oher words ALL boats over 7 metres and boats under 7 metres if capable of 7 knots.

SimonA

Visit site

I wonder why it only applies to boats over 7 metres. So you could be p**ed in charge of a Freeman 22 and get away with it, but be breaking the law on a Freeman 27. What's the difference?

byron

RIP
Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder why it only applies to boats over 7 metres. So you could be p**ed in charge of a Freeman 22 and get away with it, but be breaking the law on a Freeman 27. What's the difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

Five feet /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Opsguy1979

Visit site

Fair comment but theres a difference between being pissed and just enjoying a few drinks whilst cruising. Just seems a shame I would imagine without this rule even now if you were drunk and something did happen ud find yourself getting your collar felt!

Of course the other intresting one is where will this stop i.e if we night stop for the evening and have a beer!! You may not ber cruising at this point but unfortunalty your still the skipper!!!!

pheran

Visit site
More bloody nannying from this totally incompetent government. No sensible person would defend navigating any vessel when ones judgement and capabilities are adversely affected by alcohol but where's the evidence that this is a problem amongst leisure boaters? Legislation for legislation's sake and no thought as to the practicalities of implementation. Pity ministers don't devote their attention to sorting out some of the real problems in this country instead of this headline-grabbing nonsense.

Rant over - I feel so much better now!!

Other threads that may be of interest