Drilling C.Q.R.

G

I have heard that drilling a C.Q.R. anchor through the shank to allow stowage in the bow roller can affect its strength, and possibly cause problems with insurance. The C.Q.R. is drop forged,and I want to secure in place on the roller with a drop nose pin. Any advice please.

G

Our favourite tecchie says...

Preferable to weld the 'ears' of the bow roller up, with the same thickness of stainless plate as the existing plate, use 316 rods. It's very easy to do you could use a 140amp buzz-box welder. It's a common commodity...Drill the 'ears' out at the appropriate height for the drop nose pin. Thus you have your locking and your strength. For offshore travel, a spot of lashing as a belt and braces wouldn't go amiss either...hope this helps. Happy sailing (and anchoring!). Cheers!

G

Westerly fitted CQR's and had a hole through the shank to secure it to a bracket aft of the bow roller. Mine has been in use since 1984 and shows no sign of damage or bending.

regards, Philip

G

In the case of Westerly, the holes were probably put in during the manufacture of the anchors. Be very careful drilling the hole. The area around the hole will get very hot while drilling. This will 'heat treat' the metal around the hole, severely weakening it. Depending on the area that gets hot, the full thickness of the shank may be weakened. So if you are going to drill a hole, use a sharp drill and use pleanty of water for cooling as you're drilling, to try and minimise the size of the heat affected zone. (Hey, thats the first time I've ever got anything usefull out of all the Materials lectures I had to sit through as part of my engineering degree. Glad they weren't totally wasted (Even if I did sleep through most of them))

G

Graeme, Perhaps mine was "pre-holed" by the makers. If so, maybe it would be a good idea if John contacted the makers of CQR anchors first to confirm what you have suggested - before embarking on drilling the shank.

regards, Philip

G

Don't do it!I did and when a student had a mishap with a quayside it snapped clean across the 8mm hole area.Expensive mistake !

G

Dear Paul

Thanks very much for your response.I haven't drilled it but made some extended cheeks to lock it in place.

I originally asked because I had heard that drilling it could cause problems, just as you described.

Thanks again.