Drain unblock / Vetus pressurised water pump

maxboat

Visit site
I'm a total rookie at this and a new boat owner so please forgive these seemingly dumb questions.

1. Shower drain (has a pump) keeps getting blocked, presumably with hair and soap etc. Is it safe to use the industrial drain unblockers that contain sulphuric acid?

2. I have a Vetus pressurised water system for the water tanks - lately it is working overtime, pumping every two seconds or so when the taps go on. Pressure has also increased...I've looked at the manual and it doesn't cover anything due to pressure loss/gain. Any tips?

VicS

Visit site
I'm a total rookie at this and a new boat owner so please forgive these seemingly dumb questions.

1. Shower drain (has a pump) keeps getting blocked, presumably with hair and soap etc. Is it safe to use the industrial drain unblockers that contain sulphuric acid?

2. I have a Vetus pressurised water system for the water tanks - lately it is working overtime, pumping every two seconds or so when the taps go on. Pressure has also increased...I've looked at the manual and it doesn't cover anything due to pressure loss/gain. Any tips?

Surprised that you be considering a sulphuric acid based drain cleaner...... Safety will depend on the acd concentration.... goggles. gloves etc necessary.

Got a product name ?

Id have expected to use a caustic soda based cleaner......... equally hazardous to handle ... actually more dangerous to eyes than dilute acids

You do not say if your water system has a pressure accumulator....... probably needs setting up/ re-pressurizing or new diaphragm if it has.

Increase in pressure most likely due to faulty pressure sensor/switch on pump although some are adjustable This may be what is causing the pump to cycle

Care to post more details of your system ?

Last edited:

RichardS

N/A
Visit site

You definitely need a filter on your shower drain. In fact, I'm surprised that you don't have one. Suitable hair filters usually have a wire or plastic mesh and stop any crud getting through to the pump. East to fit and easy to clean out the mesh. The more often you do it the less in stinks!

Richard