Dont understand...

dog

Visit site
Hi all,

What a fantastic weekend we just had- made all the dark nights and cold weekends back in Jan worth it to get afloat again!!

Can anyone help- I have a 21ft Fairline, and have noticed over a fairly short period of time at planing speeds i.e. 4-5 hours there is a build up of salt water in the bilges either side of the longtitudinal stringers. There is also evidence of salt on the engine etc. Yes I have checked for obvious leaks from both engine and hull/fittings but can see nothing. One theory is whether the engine is capapble of 'breathing in spray' when under way?? I have noticed recently 4 vents high up on the transom as fitted by Fairline- could it be coming in here- although not much evidence to go by. Should I block these up anyway and rely on the vents down the sides which have back boxes fitted to them?

Has anyone else suffered this on a small boat such as mine? am anxious to pin down the cause due to corrosion etc. Any opinions welcomed.

Thanks

Dog.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SteveJ

Visit site
It sounds to me like you may have a leaking waterpump. Normally the raw water pump is to blame. you will need to check it when it is under load. or you have a pipe which is leaking. check it when under load.

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Apart from the mechanical suggestions check that the hull and superstructure seams are not coming opening up at the bow, forward thwarts when when under strain.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

Renegade_Master

Visit site
"forward twarts" you sure?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Brian,

I would think the rear vents allow flow through ventilation and air flow would be out not in at this point.

It sounds like a raw water leak, if you can pressurise the raw water system you may find the leak, it sounds like a drip onto a moving part (water pump onto fanbelt), or very fine spray from pin hole.

Hope this helps

Avagoodweekend. Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>