Dominica recommendations.

Allan

Visit site
After the success of my two previous threads, I've decided to continue the trend. We're heading to Roseau tomorrow and will probably stay there for the the carnival which is Monday and Tuesday. We also plan to visit Portsmouth. Any other recommendations would be welcome.
Allan

Zing

Visit site
After the success of my two previous threads, I've decided to continue the trend. We're heading to Roseau tomorrow and will probably stay there for the the carnival which is Monday and Tuesday. We also plan to visit Portsmouth. Any other recommendations would be welcome.
Allan

I was in Roseau last year. A little grim and battered from the hurricanes and it was fairly third Worldy before getting battered. I preferred Portsmouth, which is a prettier bay. It is also an anchorage rather than moorings. I would stay in Portsmouth and travel down in preference.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
When anchored off Portsmouth visit Fort Shirley. and walk over to the Douglas battery. Very atmospheric. If energetic head west up the steps to the lookout point over the Saintes to the North.

Take the local dollar bus to Calibashie and ask the driver to drop you off at the Red Rocks. Picnic and swim stuff essential. Make sure you know the time of the last bus back to Portsmouth.

Allan

Visit site
Many thanks again for your help. We've stayed in Roseau for now as today is carnival! Quite an experience, we left at 10am as the noise had ramped up after a quiet start at about 4am! This island knows how to party. Off to Portsmouth tomorrow. Yesterday we did a tour which to in sulphur springs, waterfalls and bubbling beaches.
Allan

geem

Visit site
If you like to hike, the walk to the boiling lake is pretty spectacular. Done it several times. The last time was a couple of weeks ago. If you are in Portsmouth you can get a bus to Roseau for 9EC each way. You then catch the bus from the botanical gardens to the boiling lake. The bus driver will take you all the way to Titou Gorge for 5EC. Leave Portsmouth at 0630 to get a bus as its a full day out. About 3 hours hike each direction. Take eggs to boil in the hot springs for lunch. Bathe in the hot sulphurous pools on the way back from the boiling lake. There is a waterfall dropping on to the pools that is lovely and hot. An amazing experience. We took some friends with us and they said it was their best day in the Caribbean.

Zing

Visit site
If you like to hike, the walk to the boiling lake is pretty spectacular. Done it several times. The last time was a couple of weeks ago. If you are in Portsmouth you can get a bus to Roseau for 9EC each way. You then catch the bus from the botanical gardens to the boiling lake. The bus driver will take you all the way to Titou Gorge for 5EC. Leave Portsmouth at 0630 to get a bus as its a full day out. About 3 hours hike each direction. Take eggs to boil in the hot springs for lunch. Bathe in the hot sulphurous pools on the way back from the boiling lake. There is a waterfall dropping on to the pools that is lovely and hot. An amazing experience. We took some friends with us and they said it was their best day in the Caribbean.

That sounds like a good trip. Was the trail easy to find and did you need a map?

geem

Visit site
That sounds like a good trip. Was the trail easy to find and did you need a map?

You can take a guide if you want. They are available from Roseau but they usually want lots of money. You can haggle them down to something reasonable but in reality the trail is easy to follow until you get to the last part on final approach to the boiling lake. The last hurricane did some serious damage and the trail is a little harder to follow but only at the end. There are usually some other parties about so you can always follow them! Its a great day out to remember for ever. Have fun. Take lots of water and some food as it can be hot walking there. The trail used to be in shade for large parts but the canopy of the forest is only just starting to grow back so not much shade. When you get back to the Titou Gorge you can swim up to the waterfall. The water is cold! There is a white plastic pipe that spurts water out in to the pool at the bottom that is hot! A nice place to warm up when you have been up the gorge.