Dogs and Sailing?

G

The cat's been been no problem. Fill the water bowl, fill the food bowl, go sailing for the weekend.

Now my daughter has a dog. Not a little poodle mind you, but a big German Shepherd ...

The boat's only 33', and an older design so no Davaria size cockpit. In fact, the dog almost fills the cockpit sole and she seems unhappy below on calm days. So what to do?

Kennels are a pain, becuase they are often fully booked weeks ahead (and have very restrictive drop-off and collection times) and no local family to dog sit.

What do the other dog owners on here do? Sail solo? Leave dog at home with your spouse?

(wish I'd thought of this BEFORE the new arrival).

<hr width=100% size=1>Humperdinck

Email: HJ@Seacracker.org

polarity

Visit site
Always sail with my hound.. but he's a LOT smaller. Dont know how you'll manage with 6 stone of GS. Usefull on the weather rail though...

Paul and the hound.. (pic on the web site home page)

<hr width=100% size=1>Paul
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.polarity2.com/Clipper.htm>http://www.polarity2.com/Clipper.htm</A>

Samphire

Visit site
We have sailed with a Jack Russell for the last 8 years,I think its important to start any size dog off very young so they get used to it.I personally wouldent fancy taking an Alsation although I know a couple who sail a Westerly Storm 33 with a Labrador and an Alsation.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Special skills

Yeah but I bet the labrador has a Day Skipper ticket and the Alsatian can do weather forecasts. What's it like in the channel Rover? Ruff

<hr width=100% size=1>

zefender

Visit site
We often take ours but not for longer passages. For these, we use a kennels a bit on from Fareham - I think it's called Lone Dog Ranch. The advantage is that they pick up and deliver to/from the marina - for a charge admittedly but it still works out cheaper than London kennels!

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
If its just a couple of days we leave ours in the back garden (she sleeps outside in the kennel anyway) which is fully enclosed and get a friend to come round to feed, water and give her a walk. If its any longer we place her in kennels. Never taken her on the boat after a surfing experience when we had taken her down the beach and I was sitting on the board out the back when suddenly a little black face appears in the water next to me! Thought it was a seal to begin with and then realised it was our daft mutt!

<hr width=100% size=1>

garym

Visit site
And finally,,, the answer that you wanted to hear Humperdinck.... Buy a bigger boat!!

I'm sure if we all write in together saying the same thing,,, you can show all the responses to she who must be obeyed and she'll give you the OK.

How are you anyway??

Good Sailing,, Gary the Welshman from Belgium..

<hr width=100% size=1>