Does Suntan Lotion have a Best Before?

Richard10002

Visit site
Not sure if this is pbo stuff, but it's pretty important.

I've just found a few almost full bottles of suntan lotion which must be 12 months old, and possibly older.

Is it safe to use, or will it have lost it's protection? (If so, where does it go?

Richard

PeteCooper

Visit site
I have read that if they have been opened the sun protection fades away but it can still be used as a moisturiser. If unopened then there should be a date on the bottle somewhere.

BoyBlue49

Visit site
Not found suntan lotion good for protection.
Best protection I have found comes in packets of 3, although in todays paper one can now get male injection protection.

Seriously though, I don't subscribe to Best Before dates, I think it is a marketing ploy. However there must come a time when the effective content looses some of it's action.
Probably twice the BB date. Tinned food is a good example but pork pies are another thing altogether !
Many years ago, in the early 60's a group of us drove to Spain, one of our number had a recipe for suntan cream made up of - olive oil, vinagar and Old Spice - we were almost incinerated.

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Inselaffe

Visit site
I think this is a very relevant boating question.

Yes, sun protection cream looses it's effectiveness with time.

I get new each year or at least only use last years at the most (how long had the bottle been on the shelf before I bought it?).

I know here in Portugal they will have to start to put best before dates on the bottles very soon - well SWMBO (Portugesa) said so, so it must be right.

Probably more critical for me as a ginge Bife (because we grill ourselves on their beaches) here in Portugal than for normal people way ooop there in the north, but still makes sense to be careful - how much does a new bottle cost after all when compared to the possible consequences...

MoodySabre

Visit site
From cancerhelp website

Cheap sunblocks are usually just as good as expensive ones. They are all tested the same way and it is the the level of protection they give you against the sun that matters most. This is the 'sun protection factor' or SPF.

Do check the 'use by' date. Most creams will last about 2 or 3 years, so it is OK to use last year's, but not a bottle from 5 years ago!

Sun creams have changed a lot in the past 15 years. There is a huge range and it can be difficult to know what to buy. You should choose one that says it protects against both UVA and UVB radiation from the sun. This may be labelled 'broad spectrum'.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Sunblocks containing titanium dioxide or zinc oxide in suspension should last pretty well - although as the liquid constituents degrade it gets harder to apply. The blocking ingredients are inactive physical blocking agents and afaik they won't lose effectiveness. I have used some ancient sunblocks which have separated in the container, but judicious shaking and careful application means they are still useable.

Ingredients here

(...and I think I can speak with some authority /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif - I am the classic red-haired fair-skinned complexion that doesn't tan and I know to be extremely careful with UV, having spent a lot of time at high altitudes, high latitudes and in deserts )

Tanning lotions may be a different matter though....

Lakesailor

Visit site
When I saw the title I thought of posting the same reply as you.

We must both be predictable twats. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
If you are worried about disposing of the old stuff, this is quite simple... Find a cheapo apartments block near the night clubs and pour it onto the surface of the pool... It seems this is what everyone else does.