Does nitromos paint stripper harm grp?

Hushinish

Visit site
Will my gel coat be affected if I use some nitromos painstripper to remove a small area of gloss paint? I know you can use interstrip safely, but nearest supplier is a long way away!

<hr width=100% size=1>

aztec

Visit site
yep, eats gel coat... unless you're very quic with the wet rags.

i stripped a 17ft cabin cruiser and had only limited damage where i was called away. the rest was fine.

you can get nitromors for fibreglass tho'... ask at your local automotive paint dealers. pound to a pinch of poo it'll be dear!!

i'd use nitromors again, but will be more carefull, and do it in small areas.

(i'm gonna get some stick for this but...) hope this helps.

regards, steve.

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardandtracy

Visit site
I think that the precautionary principle is best with grp - assume that damage will be done unless explicitly stated that it won't. Always test a little first.

I learnt the hard way with bath cleaners at home - we had a nice GRP bath, well it was nice until I tried to use a Sainsbury's brand bathroom cleaner. The gel coat bubbled up like crazy, and this stuff was supposed to be OK on the hands..

Regards

Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardandtracy

Visit site
RE: trust sainsbury\'s provided a new bath............

No, we came to the conclusion that we could live with the damage but not the hassle of taking on Sainsbury's lawyers (how to prove beyond reasonable doubt we didn't mix paint stripper in our batch etc.). The surface of the bath is now rather like the textured surface of a rubber anti-slip mat some people deliberately put in their baths and could be worse. However, we did vote with our feet, and now go to Asda (it's cheaper too, with smaller queues at the tills). So Sainsbury's have lost out on several thousand pounds worth of custom over the last 3 years, and we're never going back.

In fact, I reckon that move has saved us the cost of a new bath several times over anyway - for negligible loss in food quality. We save around £10 a week by going to Asda.

Regards

Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
There is, or used to be, a GRP urinal in the Brentwood Hotel in Aberdeen that had the best example of osmosis I have ever seen. Some of the blisters were 3 inches across. Every time I ever saw it the flush was running, so I suppose they never turned it off. So I suppose the answer to your question is simply a matter of exposure - it takes a lot of wetting to cause osmosis.

I have a small amount of osmosis at some critical points in my boat, bilges, shower tray and the depressions in the inner skin where the seacocks attach to the hull. All places where water sits for long periods.

<hr width=100% size=1>