Does anyone have a Spanish registered yacht?

PlanB

Visit site
Like the man says, what are you really asking?
One answer might be - If you have a Spanish registered yacht in Spain, you need a Spanish qualification to skipper it.

nortada

Visit site
Like the man says, what are you really asking?
One answer might be - If you have a Spanish registered yacht in Spain, you need a Spanish qualification to skipper it.

Spanish Skippers ticket. How do bare boat charterers get around this one?

Issue a Spanish ICC on the basis of a U.K. ICC (or just issue one as part of the cruising acceptance pack!)?

Carmel2

Visit site
Ours is on the SSR, but we are now Spanish residents with a company and a property and in the system. The boat is in Greece and it's quite likely it will stay that way for the forseeable. What I would like to do is to reflag the boat to bring everything into line. But what I don't know, and not for the want of trying, is what my annual obligation would be to the Spanish, given the boat would not be in Spanish waters. VAT is paid and we have ICCs.

PlanB

Visit site
Interesting problem.
If you register the boat in Spain you will need to pay the so-called matriculation tax, 12% of a value that they set.
I don't know the answer to the charter skipper query, but thinking back, Capt Sensible may recall the circumstances a few years back when confusion between the terms instructor and owner caused a schoolboat to be impounded.
If you truly want to go all Spanish, I'd talk to a Spanish marine lawyer - search matriculation tax on here and there are reams of stuff, including details of a couple of experts.

Tranona

Visit site
Ours is on the SSR, but we are now Spanish residents with a company and a property and in the system. The boat is in Greece and it's quite likely it will stay that way for the forseeable. What I would like to do is to reflag the boat to bring everything into line. But what I don't know, and not for the want of trying, is what my annual obligation would be to the Spanish, given the boat would not be in Spanish waters. VAT is paid and we have ICCs.

Given what you have described then it would not be a good idea to put it on the Spanish register (at least at the moment). It is expensive, potentially restrictive and I believe you would still have to take the Spanish skipper test.

At the moment there are no restrictions on keeping your boat in Greece on the SSR, although if you cease to be resident in the UK you lose the right in theory to use the SSR, so should transfer to the Part 1 register as presumably you are a British citizen.

If you import the boat into Spain as a resident you will need to pay the matriculation tax, but you will need to clarify whether you can do this at a later date and still get the reduced rate. This does not require reregistering on the Spanish register and you can keep it on the UK register.

All this of course may change after 2019 and there are a number of possible scenarios plus other not yet thought of! The key will be the way the rights to movement and residence problem is resolved as logically until you know where you stand on that you can't make a decision about what to do with the boat, Presumably you paid VAT in the UK which may affect movement within the EU anyway. Your ICC is sort of irrelevant, in that it is not accepted as an alternative for skippering a Spanish registered boat,but is accepted for visiting other states as now. It is not an EU thing, so this is unlikely to change.

So my advice would be to do nothing until you know the rules post brexit and how they affect your status and then consider if you need to make any changes.

Tranona

Visit site
Thank you all. Just for clarification. I do not and will not do any skipper charter work.

Assumed you would not - otherwise the answer would have been very different! Nothing unusual about your situation, but as I suggested it may well change in 2019 and you might need then to review.

Tony Cross

Visit site
I was under the impression that because the boat would not be in Spanish waters the matriculation tax would not apply. I take your point on holding out until 2019.

As you'll know there are a fair number of people who don't know how Brexit will affect their lives, but most of us seem to be of the opinion that it's better to wait and see whether there are any lifeboats before we risk jumping into the unknown.

ripvan1

Visit site
Keep boat in Spain under Greek flag and move it somewhere as your time allowance approaches - say Portugal/France/Corsica Sardinia and use there for time before bringing back to Spain. That should keep you busy 'til the doomsday in 2019.

Tranona

Visit site
Keep boat in Spain under Greek flag and move it somewhere as your time allowance approaches - say Portugal/France/Corsica Sardinia and use there for time before bringing back to Spain. That should keep you busy 'til the doomsday in 2019.

What problem is that going to solve? He does not currently have any problem with his arrangements of keeping a British registered boat in Greece even though he will be resident in Spain. He says he has no intention of moving the boat to Spain. Can't see any need to register it in Greece (even if he can do this).

Tony Cross

Visit site
Agree, keep your head down and do nothing.

Agreed, waiting to see what's agreed for citizens of the EU and UK living in 'the other place' seems the most sensible option. From what I'm hearing that's likely to be item number one on the negotiations agenda, so we should know fairly early on what the deal is going to be for us and will have until 2019 to decide whether to stay under whatever the terms are, or go back to the UK.

Our plan is to sit down with a Greek accountant once the terms are clear and establish exactly what our position will be here.

ripvan1

Visit site
What problem is that going to solve? He does not currently have any problem with his arrangements of keeping a British registered boat in Greece even though he will be resident in Spain. He says he has no intention of moving the boat to Spain. Can't see any need to register it in Greece (even if he can do this).

Mea culpa, too much sun here yesterday and misread C's post - apologies

Is there time limits for keeping SSR boat in Greece ?

Heckler

Visit site
I was under the impression that because the boat would not be in Spanish waters the matriculation tax would not apply. I take your point on holding out until 2019.

I was in Albufeira for 18 months, my Spanish neighbours boat suddenly became registered in Belguim and flying the Belgian flag. I never did get a handle on it properly but did notice a lot of Belgian flagged boats appearing in the area. They were doing it for tax reasons they said.
stu