Do you know of any boat auctions

BillyBloater

Visit site
I am looking to buy a 14ft open / Dory type boat for days out with the kids. I haven't had much success so far and wandered if there were any proper auctions any more (other than online)? Does any one know of an auction or can you give me any advice on where to look £1500 ish plus outboard.

Thanks

Billy

landlockedpirate

Visit site
Don't know of any auctions (apart from Ebay) but theres about 15-20 on boatsandoutboards.co.uk that fit your brief. Some look pretty good and even have modern 4 stokes.

Mark

byron

RIP
Visit site
I agree, http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/ is the place to start looking. Your budget of £1,500 should buy you a really nice genuine Dell Quay 13'6" Dory with a decent outboard and trailer. Personally I wouldn't want to pay more than a £1,000 but I'm a meanie /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

theguvnor

Visit site
Hardly any

I ran a boat auction a few years back at the now infamous Assured Boating on the Thames.

Problems for purchasers are a) can`t test the boat b) you may not even be able to start it c) Put up your hand and you own it - payment within 1 hr please
d) Sold as Seen - absolutly no comebacks

Follow the advice of the previous forumites

Chris_d

Visit site
And me, mine even bought a boat there once, an old wooden broads style cruiser called "Canina". Had many a happy hour trying to get the old morris navigator engine to behave /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oldgit

Visit site
Surely you must have a version of the Adtrader or Freeads in your neck of the woods.Most of the stuff in there tends towards the smaller stuff £500 to around £2K and its all fairly local.Well except the Fairline listed at £235,000 for sale down on the Solent.

BillyBloater

Visit site
Maybe it is me but I am really struggling to find something half decent.

I may end up buying new - there seem to be one or two foreign imports that are not to pricy. Does any one have any suggestions?

Cliveshep

Visit site
Don't know about auctions but went for a spin a while back down to Heybridge Basin (R. Blackwater nr Malden, Essex) and saw several wooden boats along the edge offered for sale quite cheaply, in fact very cheaply. Suspect if you wandered around anywhere like that you might get inspired!

Dipper

Visit site
There's one at Chichester on 14th April.

If you are buying a boat with a double skinned hull ie an inner and outer moulding stuck together, make sure it doesn't let water through the join. I once rescued a family of 4 in a boat like this that sank (except for 6 inches of the bows) because water got between the two mouldings.