Do not laugh but...

G

It has been decided by a higher authority than mine that a new kettle for the galley is required. The chandlers have these heavy looking kettles with a coil in the base that they claim makes them boil faster etc etc. They are though a magnitute higher in price... Any views on whether they are worth it or not?

thanks

Pete

G

I only used one once, The

kettle sits quite high off the burner, I got fed up of waiting and used a saucepan. I've now got an ordinary kettle.

G

I also used one once !
As you say it sits quite high on the burner and the range cover fell on it making an unsightly dent, and we can't have those can we !!??

G

John Lewis\'

We came to the conclusion that the fancy job was a load of chandler's rubbish, and that's being pleasant about such a waste of money.

We picked up a beauty of a whistling kettle in John Lewis.. s/s and cheap. Never regretted!

G

I bought a very adequate s/s kettle from Argos for around a fiver, plenty of money left over to buy the tea and biscuits!

G

Sick of scalding myself,not hearing the whistle, and lousy pouring I treated myself 2 seasons ago. Looks good, pours well, works efficiently and I reckon it should continue to do so for the next 15 years! OK a bit pricey but I don't regret it.

G

Re: R U the Peter....

Check out the local discount camping stores / caravan shops / Argos etc.

Don't waste yer money ! You can buy a number of cheap ones for the same as the fancy one and keep the missus happy with new different ones now and again !!!!

Nigel

G

A Kettle Warning...

Our boat received one of these kettles last Xmas (the copper variety). I tried once to compare heating rate with our old kettle but ran out of gas at the time, so no results yet. However, a WARNING - the coils and underframe of the kettle retain heat long after the gas is shut off. If left, the water continues to boil. If you pour the water promptly (like most do), the bottom coils can remain well above boiling point - almost red hot. If you then put the kettle down on the cooker, all is well - it will slowly cool. If however you (or anyone else on board) puts it elsewhere, it will burn a ring into the surface - wood, plastic galley surface, etc. It is equally hazardous if anyone accidentally touches the base - severe burns. We have also found the copper tarnishes quickly, and the base plus coils leave a scaley deposit on the cooker (corrosion products from high temperature). Am still debating whether to keep it (it looks pretty and was a pricey gift) or go back to the safer aluminium kettle that has served for many years with compete safety and satisfaction.

iangrant

Visit site
Pete
I just bought a posh copper whistleing jobby - real fast - can see me losing the top though. I always said that I'd made it if I had a proper kettle!
Ian

tonyleigh

Visit site
Could any other nation debate a topic about boiling water for a cup of tea? That aside, a problem with forums is the subjective nature of postings. Thus this pm, while checking my mooring, I filled my "fancy" kettle, a 6" saucepan with lid and a 7.5" saucepan with lid each with a pint of water. I placed each, in turn, on the same gasring and timed them to boiling. Kettle=3mins 20 secs, small saucepan 3min 30secs, large saucepan 3mins 40secs (this surprised me - increased surface area and all that). Thus, empirical evidence supports the kettle by a barely significant margin. I shall continue to use mine as visually and aurally it is aesthetically more pleasing! Quod erat demonstrandum.