Do I need to antifoul again?

Miker

Visit site
I'm taking my boat out of the water this March for two weeks to clean the bottom and prop, and check/replace the anodes. I antifouled 12 months ago and am thinking of just putting some more around the waterline and raising the antifouling line a bit. I've found that crud gets above the antifouling line while the boat is leaning to one side a bit on its mooring finger.
Can I get away with this and save a bit of money and effort?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I would have thought that you could do what you want by just being lifted and either held in the slings for a cople of hours or overnight rather than a couple of weeks on the hard, thus saving quite a bit. Then comming out next year and reantifouling. If you can find a wall or somewhere to dry out between tides and dont mind the work you could do it all between tides and scrub of again later in the year. This is always assuming that you antifouled last year and their is some left on the hull, I think two years is possible in most areas particularly if you can scrub of at least once in the second year. However if you are definitly spending a couple of weeks out of the water I would put on a coat of antifouling.

pikeyrm

Visit site
why not find a nice stable drying out point( if you have suitable keel) and do this between tides, saves on the hassle with slings. just make sure you know the area and give yourself a good tide.

Richard10002

Visit site
Like the others I would suggest antifouling if she comes out of the water for 2 weeks. If you put a couple of coats on you may be able to avoid lifting out and painting again next year.

If you know anyone who scuba dives, changing anodes and scrubbing the bottom is quite an interesting project in the warmer summer months, (if there are any /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

Having said all that, if you think you are going to lift out every year to check anodes and prop, then you may be able to wait another year, dependant on what you find when she comes out.

Rogue was last antifouled in August 2006! so she's coming out in the next few weeks.

Miker

Visit site
I did think of tying up and drying out but with a lifting keel it means going on hands and knees in the mud, and the cost of lifting out is not too bad at my yacht club - nothing like that charged by the marina.
Also, the anode on my Brunton prop wears away very quickly which is my main concern.