Do Davits work on Sugar Scoop Transom?

M_S_Dean

Visit site
I am considering fitting davits to the boat but am not sure if it will work/look OK. Does anyone else use davits with a rear cockpit and sugar scoop transom yacht and if so how well do they work.

If anyone has a picture of a successful installation I would be very interested to see them.

Thank you in advance
Mark

Visit site
They get in the way of the passarelle when mooring stern-to in the Med but they look alright on a boat like yours. There are several in Gouvia Marina with this layout.

Steve Cronin

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Yes - I've davits on a sugar scoop stern. I think they look fine and I wouldn't be without them - its simply a much more convenient way to deal with the dinghy. I have a light air floor dinghy and only occasionally lift with the engine on - as I like to keep the weight down on the davit arms. Yes they prevent access over the stern and this might be an issue although mine is a Scandinavian boat with the normal scandinavian "over the bow" access. So I figure that when in the med we'll need a stern anchor and then go in bows to - also provides more privacy in the cockpit. I don't know how practical this is thought - I'll find out when I get there! We also find the dinghy a useful place to store fenders and lines whilst at sea. I've no idea how to post photo's on here but if you send me your email I could send you a photo.

rob

A

Anonymous

Except for very light tenders, you need to make sure that the reach of the davits take the tender beyond the stern. Ours don't and it is a real menace trying to get the RIB (with outboard) up and down. The reach needs to be very long indeed.

Notwithstanding that, we wouldn't dream of being without davits for Med cruising.

In the western Med you always have lazy lines and never put an anchor down in marinas. We always go in bow first - it is easier to do and more private. Getting on and off is a problem but we had a stainless bow ladder made which works well. You need to think it through carefully, though, especially if you have elderly or infirm visitors at times.

sona

Visit site
Hi,
Have you considered snap davits with standoff supports, they are neater looking, cheaper and not intrusive when the tender is not attached.
Weaver Industries supplied the ones I used.

Swagman

Based from the UK, try to get away on a boat for a
www.sailblogs.com
We fitted Simpson Lawrance removable jobbies last year and they work just fine.......we've not got a classic 'sugar scoop' stern but do have an aft cockpit open transom. Since they were dropped in we've never removed them - and as Talbot suggests, with dinghy on foredeck or floating, they make good supports for a passerrel also.
Osculati do davits which effectively telescope down when not in use....you may wish to check those out also.
JOHN