Diving in the Caribbean

richardh10

Visit site
Think I might have a bash at learning to dive when I get over to the Caribbean this winter. Any recommendations for schools. We’re talking total novice here.

Thanks

capnsensible

Visit site
I learnt at the school in Jolly Harbour, Antigua. Was very good. Also took some people to try their first dive at a school in Bequia. Brit run and excellent. :encouragement:

jdc

Visit site
in winter 2016/17 I dived in Grenada, Cariacou, Bequi, Martinique, St Lucia, Dominica and Montserrat. I can dig out the actual dive sites and phone numbers with a week's notice - PM if you want them - but my impressions were as follows:

Grenada (Scubatech, Prickly Bay): Really excellent and the lowest cost anywhere. Nitrox zero cost adder, not that this is relevant to a beginner, but they are very good with novices or the less confident.
Cariacou (Lumbadive): very friendly and anxious to be helpful, great diving.
Bequi (Dive Bequia): I wrote a poor trip advisor on this outfit, the only time I've ever posted not so good stuff, as I found their attitude and equipment to be sloppy. However, looking at more recent posts it seems that they may have sharpened up. The diving is wonderful.
Martinique (Deep turtle plongée): Loved it and very good value. French equipment and to CMAS rather than PADI 'rules' but none the worse for that. Relaxed but professional. I gave it 5 stars.
St Lucia (Scuba Steve's): very, very professional but friendly. I did 10 dives with them, including a PADI course, which says a lot. Good kit, good dive leaders, amazing sites.
Dominica (Aldive): Dominica is just a wonderful place to go for all sorts of reasons but the diving doesn't disappoint. Most is in Soufriere with 'champagne' vents where gs bubbles out of the rocks and with amazing corals, bit if lucky with the weather you can go to the weather side of the island and see pristine and huge corals which few are lucky enough to visit. Not quite as professional as Steve's on St Lucia but we had a great time.
Montserrat (Island dive Centre): A bit different, but none the worse for that. Few people go to Monserrat, and certainly none of the indolent cruise-ship brigade, so It's more a centre for people who want to take diving to a new level of self-reliance and competence,. It's run by an ex-marine and his wife so it's very competent indeed but you may dive sites which are not very well charted or are off the beaten track (much of the island is semi-destroyed by a still active volcano after all) so it's probably not for beginners. Diving just before dawn and watching the underwater environment change with the light was a special experience for me.

Last edited: