Dipstick - reading

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
The dipstick on our engine is difficult to get to, and near-impossible to put back again.

Stripping to the waist, kneeling and embracing the engine, twisting ones head, peering into a mirror, pointing a torch and then cleaning off the oil marks are all necessary accompaniments to what ought to be a straightforward regular task. I like my Yanmar, but I don't want to have sex with it. (By the way, is an engine male or female?)

Anyone know of a simple remote gizmo? (I seem to remember that something like this was sold for 'reading the oil level' from one's Mini dashboard) (back in the late sixties).

G

I have the same problem (sort of, anyway. I haven't yet developed the relationship with my Yanmar that you seem to have).
I've often wondered why Yanmars don't have two dipsticks, one on each side. In the meantime, I have thought of extending the handle on the dipstick so I can reach it from the top of the engine, and putting an extension guide tube on the dipstick hole with diameter large enough to take the whole dipstick with the extension. This way I could do the job blindfolded (I think). But I would be missing the fun you seem to have.