Dipstick for Petrol Tank

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I have a metal remote tank for an outboard.

It is low down in a locker designed for the purpose. If you open the filler cap it is (for me) , difficult to
judge how much is in the tank. It would also be nice to know if I can add 5lt amounts that will fit in.

In an effort to keep sailing simple (thanks Dylan) , I thought a simple dip stick would suffice.

Petrol is difficult to see . Any ideas on what material to use ? Wood ?

Thanks

VicS

Visit site
I have a metal remote tank for an outboard.

It is low down in a locker designed for the purpose. If you open the filler cap it is (for me) , difficult to
judge how much is in the tank. It would also be nice to know if I can add 5lt amounts that will fit in.

In an effort to keep sailing simple (thanks Dylan) , I thought a simple dip stick would suffice.

Petrol is difficult to see . Any ideas on what material to use ? Wood ?

Thanks

Have you tried a dark coloured wood, mahogany type

Poignard

Visit site
The dipstick for my 12 gallon tank is a bamboo stick about 5/16" diameter, with a notch every 2 gallons. It came with the boat when I bought her 18 years ago. I've no idea how long the previous owner had it. So I reckon bamboo has shown itself to be pretty durable.

ps if you have difficulty seeing the petrol level, just rub a bit of chalk along the stick.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Yes. Hardwood dowel is ideal. I use a bit of 1/4" square offcut in my trials car. It has the advantage that it darkens considerably where the fuel has covered it so readings are very easy. 30 seconds later it's back to it's lighter colour and you can dip again.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Yes. Hardwood dowel is ideal. I use a bit of 1/4" square offcut in my trials car. It has the advantage that it darkens considerably where the fuel has covered it so readings are very easy. 30 seconds later it's back to it's lighter colour and you can dip again.

Thanks for the responses.

Have just done some tests with water in a beaker.

Any material within two arms lengths reach of my shed was tested.

First was Vic's mahogany . Very good. Showed up like freshly painted varnish.

A white plastic sail batten was poor. So was a long steel screwdriver. A length of tufnol
was good but probably too oily . Then I realised that I would have to degrease all items for
a proper review so started again.

A garden cane was very good and then a pine broom handle moved to first place. Mainly because
it was semi porous and left a longer lasting stain. I would expect a length of dowel to be just as good.
Whether this would last after many dippings of petrol is questionable though.

A length of ply and iroko were so so .

Then the breakthrough ! A length of black alloy autohelm pedestal . The dull black of the metal
was a great backdrop to the 'wet' water. I guess it would last many dippings compared with
the pine broom handle. The only problem being that it is too short for good dipping.

I think I will start with an untreated length of broom handle, dowel or wooden stirring spoon for easy handling.

sarabande

Visit site
outboard petrol tank in a locker.

Just a non-challenging enquiry as to what sort of ventilation it has , please ?

Lakesailor

Visit site
When I had that arrangement I put a screen wash pipe tail in the tank cap and led some screenwash pipe out of the locker and through the transom. I clipped it in place and led it under the rubbing strake for a few inches to avoid water running back in.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site

Hi

The locker is located in the transom of the boat next to the outboard well.

The boat is new to me, but I reckon the locker started out as a fuel locker then became a gas locker. When I bought the boat
it was a fuel locker again. It is only big enough to store a 20 L tank. The cover has more of an overhang than most lockers and I guess this
is designed to promote free air circulation as there is a gap.

The idea promoted by Lakesailor is I believe a good one and would make more sense .

VicS

Visit site

And filling it it situ ?

But then I realised he said "locker design for the purpose" so presumably an adequately sealed off and ventilated locker so as not to fill the boat with gasoline fumes.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Then the breakthrough ! A length of black alloy autohelm pedestal . The dull black of the metal
was a great backdrop to the 'wet' water. I guess it would last many dippings compared with
the pine broom handle. The only problem being that it is too short for good dipping.

I had a similar problem with the supplied dipstick in the gearbox, trying to see clear ATF on a silver rod, it was almost impossible.
Heat the steel rod to cherry red and dip it into old engine oil. It goes matt black. Easy to see liquids on it.