Dingy Rings

Dave 71

Visit site
I'm looking at options for carrying an inflated dingy. I don't really want to fit normal davits as I don't really want to drill holes in the boat, or have a big protruding frame. Davits look to be an awkward fit around my pushpit.

I've come across these:

Force 4 Dinghy Rings FLEX | Force 4 Chandlery

Which seems a neat idea, and would fit nicely on my boat, but I don't recall seeing any other boats using them, making me wonder if they're less effective or secure. Pricey, too, for what it is, but l like the idea of stowing it away when not needed.

Has any one used these?

Bouba

Visit site
Looks like you need to check if your dingy’s tubes go to a pointy cone and not a blunt end

Daydream believer

Visit site
If you are going to spend that sort of money & still have that projection on the stern then may I suggest the solution I saw on a Dutch boat in Willemstad.
There were 2 "L" shaped arms hinged from the transom The foot of the "L" being fixed to the boat such that when they were lowered the upright part of the "L" was horizontal & came just below the water. They were also longer than the height of the dinghy when laying on the ground. The ends of the "Ls" each had a pulley & cleat & a 2:1 line to the pushpit.The length of the leg being slightly longer than the width of the dinghy.
The owner arrived in the dinghy, Floated over the arms & the dinghy was held temporarily by the lines to the pushpit whilst he got out. He then hoisted the 2 arms of the "Ls" & the boat was lifted on its side clear of the water & held by the now upright part of the "L". The feet of the "Ls" stopping the dinghy falling down. He cleated the lines on the pushpit & was finished.
The 2 "Ls " were interconnected by a couple of rails but the whole assembly was simple & quite light. I liked the way that when wishing to leave the dinghy could be lowered & was held in place by the 2 lowering lines until ready.
Also it only needed 2 hinged brackets on the transom & a couple of fixing points & cleats on the pushpit for the lowering lines

Last edited:

Minerva

Visit site
I'm looking at options for carrying an inflated dingy. I don't really want to fit normal davits as I don't really want to drill holes in the boat, or have a big protruding frame. Davits look to be an awkward fit around my pushpit.

I've come across these:

Force 4 Dinghy Rings FLEX | Force 4 Chandlery

Which seems a neat idea, and would fit nicely on my boat, but I don't recall seeing any other boats using them, making me wonder if they're less effective or secure. Pricey, too, for what it is, but l like the idea of stowing it away when not needed.

Has any one used these?

No, not used them. When saw them, like you I liked the idea of them. The next sail, I made a couple of rope strops with big bowlines to go over the sponsons of the tender to replicate the idea (royal pain in the bum to set up tho). What it demonstrated was that To get the sponsons clear off the water, even my modest sized tender presented a massive vertical wall / sail off the back of my 34ft boat and looked ridiculous as well as obliterating any rearward view.

It quickly showed the idea that I be a non starter. It might work if you had a tiny tender or a massive boat.

Bouba

Visit site
No, not used them. When saw them, like you I liked the idea of them. The next sail, I made a couple of rope strops with big bowlines to go over the sponsons of the tender to replicate the idea (royal pain in the bum to set up tho). What it demonstrated was that To get the sponsons clear off the water, even my modest sized tender presented a massive vertical wall / sail off the back of my 34ft boat and looked ridiculous as well as obliterating any rearward view.

It quickly showed the idea that I be a non starter. It might work if you had a tiny tender or a massive boat.
That made me laugh 😂🤣....the thought of a yottie looking to see what’s behind him🤣😂

Minerva

Visit site
That made me laugh 😂🤣....the thought of a yottie looking to see what’s behind him🤣😂
You always have to check when to tack to be in front and the most obstructive to some oaf in a gin palace. Part of the yottie code, innit. 😎

Bouba

Visit site
You always have to check when to tack to be in front and the most obstructive to some oaf in a gin palace. Part of the yottie code, innit. 😎
In fact from the top of a gin palace you can see all.....most yotties have a very restricted view even up front (especially those that store their inflated dingy on the foredeck....and worse...those who rest it up against the mask😱😳😎😎)...so restricted that experienced yotties no longer bother looking where they are going😂😅🥵

srm

Visit site
I used a deflatable for a while (now prefer a rigid dinghy). When towing it I found the drag / loss of speed unacceptable so tied it flat against the outside of the guard rails/cockpit dodgers. Not very elegant but it avoided deflating it, I could see over the side of the dinghy and it did not have the windage of the OP's method. Only needed the dinghy's bow and stern painters for securing so no extra hardware.