Desperate Voyage - Caldwell

misterg

Visit site
Since I can't see any reference to it, yet...

Just finished this - A true story about a man, with no sailing experience, who buys a boat to get back from Central America to Australia at the end of WWII.

Style is flakey and awkward at times, but boy, what a story! One disaster after another. If it was fiction, it wouldn't be credible. Don't want to give too many details, as it will spoil the book.

Tried to order if off Amazon a while ago, but after a few weeks, they said they couldn't get a copy, and cancelled the order. I asked in WH Smiths (the High Street reading rooms) on the off-chance, and they got me a copy in 2 days!?

Andy

jezjez

Visit site
It is a great read. I met a man, hope htis doesn't disapoint you too much, who met Caldwell and said Caldwell could tell a rare yarn and that he may have embellished the thing a bit by the way he told his tales, still, even so, it's a stunning read and pretty amazing just the same. He also said that Caldwell and the wife were no longer an item and lived in seperate houses on hte same island, i forget where. Not a very fairytale end, I'm afraid... A very good book ni somehting of a similar vein is Steven Callahan' Adrift - a similar tale in smoe ways but with more ingenious food finding techniques and just as good a read, well, almost.

machurley22

Visit site
Wonderful book which I've now read several times. I almost injured myself laughing the first time I read his description of his first attempt to leave harbour.

Talbot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
he may have embellished the thing a bit by the way he told his tales

[/ QUOTE ]
He wouldn't be the first - read a few of the Tristan Jones stories. Doesnt make any difference to the enjoyment of a good read!