Depreciation ?

G

Do brand new yachts appreciate in value at all ? Probably not. If so, what level of depreciation could I expect if I were to lay out say £50K ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

PeterGibbs

Visit site
This is a changing scene. Until about 7 years ago a good second hand boat of know prevenance and 5-10 years would more or less recover its cost when sold on. This was largely due to fast rising prices for new boats of the same line. Generally speaking, all equipment added would be discounte

<hr width=100% size=1>

PeterGibbs

Visit site
This is a changing scene. Until about 7 years ago a good second hand boat of know prevenance and 5-10 years would more or less recover its cost when sold on. This was largely due to fast rising prices for new boats of the same line. Generally speaking, all equipment added would be discounted to nothing on sale.

The new (sailing) boat market has taken off over this period, and I reckon the scene has changed. New (volume) boats are not inflating in price, owing to concentration in the hands of fewer manufacturers. This is not so for top of the line hulls that are rising in line with labour costs. Again, all equipment added can be reckoned to fetch nothing on sale of the hull, but it might make one example of a vessel more marketable than another similar hull if the equipment is to a better spec.

At some time, new (volume) boat prices will begin to edge up - not for a while yet I reckon. In the meanwhile I offer my observations that whatever you spend on a new hull today will just about recover its cost less commissioning and all equipment, up to about 5 years of age. Thereafter there will be a discount on the price paid - maybe 1-5% per annum depending on type and condition at sale.
Markets are logical - if a new boat costs no more than 20% on a second hand example, most purchasers will go the extra mile and buy new. No?

PWG

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Due to the fact that new boat prices (Bavaria anyway) are falling in real terms, this might affect the old adage that good baots in good condition hold their price. But the scene is very confusing because the influx of mass-production new boats has only really accelerated in the last few years and many of them have yet to hit the used market. Ask again in five years!

In the meantime, remember that if you buy a new boat at say £50,000 you should expect to pay maybe another 10-20% to equip it to a seamanlike and comfortable standard. The full extra amount depends on the quality of the standard fit-out and inventory.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

ParaHandy

Visit site
£10k of extra kit ?

There was a time when British Leyland (Marina and other simply marvellous cars) refused to fit a radio as standard and it wasn't until Ford put one in (to disguise the death rattles from the engine) and even then, they only put one in when every japanese car had one.

What do you get for £10k? Would have thought by now that the builders would include a standard package of gear to at least sail the thing away ....

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
Re: £10k of extra kit ?

I'd guess thats probably easy ...

Compass adjuster
Softwood plugs for all through hull fittings
Gas detector
Gelshield/Epoxy
Mainsail reefing
Deeper keel/bigger rig (you do want to sail when others are motoring?)
Fixed GPS
Backup GPS
Fixed VHF
Portable VHF
Wind instruments
Plotter/Radar if cruising warrants it
Autopilot if needed
Hand bearing compass
Liferaft
Spares for main engine
Spares for onboard systems
Shore supply if appropriate
Emergency VHF aerial
Fenders
Warps
Kedge cable
Dinghy
Outboard
Flares
Storm jib (or at least something other than just a standard reefing genny)
Spinnaker
Spinnaker fittings
Pots, pans, crockery
Probably a pram hood
Cockpit cushions

and so on an so forth

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
And you could add in

4 x lifejackets
4 x sets of foul weather gear
Ensign and staff
Boathook
Deck brush
Spray hood
Kedge anchor
2nd Bower anchor
Anchor ball, motoring cone
Fog horn
Binoculars
Signwriting of name/club

and probably more

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Re: And you could add in

charts (!!!)
Tea towels.
Jaunty cap.
Cushions for looong trips
tender
rowlocks
oars
lots of spare string
Yachting Monthly to read while you are waiting for the tide
Maurice Griffiths memoirs ditto
one of those tape recording Roberts Radios for the weather forecast
lots of half empty tins of paint and varnish to store in one of your lockers
any more for any more?

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site

... and still no bedding, towels or anything to pretty up the saloon.

Then theres the drinks locker (oops now we need glasses, and plenty of them!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: £10k of extra kit ?

saw an oyster 50 summat
3weeks old
blew all its fenders in falmouth being pushed against the pontoon oin a breeze. the ones they provided were totally inadeqaute inanadequit ..sh*te
so whatever you do get may need replacing.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

ParaHandy

Visit site
gawd ...

fill up with booze and get going before you lot sink the bloody thing ....

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site

Yacht club membership and entry fee.
Radio LICENCE grr.
Epirb
Liferaft
There's £2k just there!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ParaHandy

Visit site

(this must be s101's boat?) Useless load of ironmongery none of which attends to our creature comforts ....

Add a double glazed conservatory with option of 2 fluffly dice hinging on the back window with space for little stickers from all the towns/harbours visited ..........

<hr width=100% size=1>