Delivery Passage Falmouth to Woodbridge. 18 April

MrCramp

Visit site
Looking to sail a fin keel Westerly Tiger (25ft) with 25hp engine from Falmouth to Woodbridge with no night sailing. Don't know the South Coast at all but familiar with the Harwich area.

Wanting to go into 24hr access marinas/ports on the way. This is initial thoughts on ports of call. Any comments appreciated as well as notes on what to watch out for. We are/will do our own revised detail work so not looking for a "free ride" with regard to navigation, just any advice. Thanks.

Falmouth to Plymouth 39 miles
to Dartmouth 35 miles
to Portland 45 miles
to Cowes 49 miles
to Shoreham 49 miles
to Eastbourne 24 miles
to Dover 45 miles
to Ramsgate 15 miles
to Harwich 40 miles
to Woodbridge 12 miles

Will be intending to leave early and maybe arrive late but concerned about availability of fuel 24/7.

johnalison

Visit site
Sounds perfectly reasonable, though there some alternatives. With that enormous engine you may make better progress than you expect because you're following the tides, so that, for expample, Brighton to Dover - 60 miles, can be done with the tide all the way at five knots.

shmoo

Visit site
No fuel at Shoreham

Get the tide right and Dover to Harwich is not much more difficult than Ramsgate Harwich
<edit> Concur with Kermudjon above</edit>

Billy_Mizzen

Visit site
I did the reverse of this trip single handed in a Hustler 32 in 2006, going from Harwich to Falmouth. I did it in quite long legs!

Harwich – Ramsgate
Ramsgate – Newhaven
Newhaven – Weymouth
Weymouth – Dartmouth
Dartmouth – Fowey
Fowey - Falmouth

I was intending to sail from Newhaven directly to Dartmouth, but the weather got a bit squiffy round the Bill, so I headed into Weymouth for the night. Also I think I could have done Dartmouth direct to Falmouth but I was meeting up with friends in Fowey and it was quite nice to have a short final leg!

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
With my 29ft boat I normally plan on (and usually achieve) 5.5 knots; and I only have 18hp if the wind is uncooperative!
Last year I did Plymouth-Brixham, Brixham-Poole, and Poole-Portsmouth all as daysails. Brixham to Poole from memory was about 70 miles but no problem when starting at 04:00. (It was July so plenty of daylight.) To get to Portland or Weymouth from the West you have to time your arrival at the Bill fairly carefully and it's a long way North of your intended track, so going straight past is a benefit. Similarly in the past I've done Portsmouth to Eastbourne in one day sail. If you plan to arrive at the Looe Channel off Selsey just as the tide turns you can carry one tide all the way to Beachy Head. I think that one is about 60 miles. When are you going?

lw395

Visit site
Tide times are fairly crucial, few places offer 24hr fuel.
I would carry some spare and intend to sail most of the distance.
Personally I often have very flexible passage plans, press on further if the breeze holds, pull in sooner if not much progress is being made.
I often use Yarmouth in preference to Cowes.
I would tend to skip plymouth in favour of either Fowey or the Yealm, it's a long way off track!, and doing a short passage on day one often helps get things sorted with less pressure to depart early. Obviously the Bill is key, and it's a lot easier to plan your arrival there from Dartmouth than Salcombe, but Brixham can be a useful option in some wind directions, as it means you start crossing Lyme Bay North of the strongest tide.
It's good to have a grand plan, but useful to plan each day according to the forecast IMHO.
Hope that helps a bit.

lw395

Visit site
It does not take that long to sail from the tip of the Bill to Weymouth if you arrive with the tide. In Weymouth you have all stores etc and are well placed to stay north out of the adverse tide until St Albans, to make a well timed assault on the Needles. Do take care of the race on St Albans/Aldhelms though!
I tend to avoid Poole, its a long way from the entrance to the quay, in the right weather I'd rather just anchor off Swanage or Studland. But it's an option if the breeze takes you there!

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
You're right Poole is a good way North as well. If the weather's suitable and you're not desperate for fuel you could wait for the tide or daylight off Swanage or in Studland Bay.

lenseman

www.dswmarineengineering.com
The Deben is one of the few rivers I have navigated into where the 'Red' buoys are on the right hand side of the river and the 'Green' buoys are on the right! Good for catching out the unwary! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I discovered this on my last delivery trip from Chi round to Felixstowe Ferry in July 2007. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
If the weather is fair:
1 - I would go into Newton Ferrers rather than Plymouth. Mainly because it is a lot less time from entry to tie up, but it is also much nicer.
2 - Once round the Bill, if you are on the inside passage then Weymouth. If you are standing off and don't need fuel then Lulworth cove is a nice stop over.

H

highandry

When you're off Shoreham, if you still have some favourable flood left consider running the extra 5 or 6 miles on to Brighton. Shoreham means locking in to the Eastern Arm, Brighton is an easy entrance in fair weather and the visitors berths are close inside. I'm sure you will have already noted the overfalls off Beachy Head but from local knowledge in a 21 foot bilge keeler, they're 'orrible in wind against tide sometimes. Stand off a bit rather than cut the corner.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Do take care of the race on St Albans/Aldhelms though!

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you take the inshore Passage remember that the Range Patrol guys cannot direct you out to sea for miles and miles - just put engine an and proceed at maximum speed. They won't lurv you cos firing has to stop but it is legal.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Lulworth Range Walks and Tyneham Village opening times 2009 (so not firing)
The Lulworth Range walks and Tyneham Villages are open to the public every weekend with the exception of the following:

24/25 January 2009
14/15 March 2009
4/5 April 2009
18/19 July 2009
3/4 October 2009
14/15 November 2009

In addition to the weekends they are open every day during the following times; all dates are inclusive:

Christmas: 20 December 2008-4 January 2009
Easter: 10-19 April 2009
Bank Holiday: 2-4 May 2009
Spring 23-31 May 2009
Summer 25 July-31 August
Christmas 19 December 2009-3 January 2010

CliveG

Visit site
Falmouth to Plymouth is a good gentle day trip.
We used to berth in Plymouth Yacht Harbor.
That is the most convenient for the entrance and has very nice showers.
There is a fuel barge and if the duty manager is in a good mood you may get served in the evening.

Newton Ferris is an alternative and will save you 1/2 hr but there is no fuel.

Plymouth to Dartmouth
Your issue here will be getting round Start Point.
You need to do this on the flood tide.
Looking at the tides I would plan thus
leave Plymouth just after low water (07:00)
expect the tide to turn against some where of Salcombe so duck in there for the afternoon.
come out again when the tide has turned and take a fast ride around The Start
You should be in Dartmouth at about dusk.

Good luck with the trip.

Sequoiah1

Visit site
Plymouth-Dartmouth easilly doable in one hop provided you get tides right. Dartmouth has a fule barge but its normal opening hours only I think 9-5.

jimi

Visit site
On the Western side you have less need to work the tides. Bearing in mind the prevailing wind is SW and tidal flows in the western channel are less if you avoid headlands and tides are neaps that weekend I'd go:

Falmouth -> Dartmouth (Brixham or Torquay if you need fuel) leave when you want cost it'll take c 12hours

Dartmouth -> Solent (anchoring at either Lulworth or Studland depending on time of tide when you get there)
aim to get Portland just after the flood starts cos if you cross Lyme Bay against the ebb it does'nt really matter cos flows are fairly weak but you'll get a good kick when it turns as the channel narrows eastwards past Portland, St Aldelms and Anvil

Solent -> Eastbourne or Brighton

These legs should just about be feasible in daylight hours with a pre dawn start, I've managed the first two ssingle handed in a 34 foot boat (although to be fair I crossed Lyme bay after leaving Torquay at 1am but you're well clear of shipping lanes there)

Don't know much about further East, however also depends if you're on a sightseeing or delivery trip!

MoodySabre

Visit site
I did Plymouth to Bradwell 3 years ago bringing my boat back. As someone has said, you can cover big distances going east. We had no wind and totally flat water for two days and did Gosport to Eastbourne one day and Eastbourne to Dover the next, motoring at 2000 revs. The tide is under you for about ten hours if you time it right and keep your speed up.

Have a good trip.