DEKPA - how we have learned to live with it.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
The Cruising Association Membership benefit from the combined efforts of its members to report on and document matters that will effect Cruising Yachtsmen, those that own, those that are hoping to own and those that charter.
There is a wealth of information in our APP, Captains Mate on Ports and anchorages and our Website for members enables them to plan and enjoy their cruising without worry. We have always tried to share elements of this with YBW members partly to be just nice:encouragement:, but also to make potential members aware of why you might benefit from being a member.

DEKPA - A Clarification on how to live with it

Having now had 2 full seasons of the DEKPA, I feel it would be useful to reflect on what we now know - good and bad, and how we can learn to survive with them.
I have recently found a very helpful Greek sailor who has offered to do translation for us in future. This has always been one of out problems in understanding the replies from the Ministries, as the official replies are always in Greek - apparently a diplomatic norm.
I have now had the Instructions to Port Police issued in July of this year properly translated - so we now know exactly what the PP have in this respect. I have summarised the translation below and I will also include them in the Greek Regulations page. Copies of the Original Greek and English Translations are attached here - and under Greek regulations on the web site.

Summary of Instruction to Port Police - July 2nd 2018.

1. Any Vessel found to be without a DEKPA, will be subject to a fine of €1000
  2. Any Vessel with an out of date VISA - Annual Stamp – will be fined €500
  3. OUT OF USE:
If after the expiry of the Visa (stamp), that the Vessel has been entered in the Port Police register of Immobility (out of Use), a new Visa (stamp) may be granted on the out of date DEKPA at the time for putting the boat back in use. A written note in the “Comments column” of the “Annual Visa” Section must be added by the relevant Port Authority ( Port Police) recording the cause of the late issue.
Note that this does not include an instruction about double stamping. This does not matter, as it is one of the few things stated in the original Law - YOU CAN DOUBLE STAMP.

So what have we learned about the practicalities of living with the DEKPA?
1. The harsh penalties were brought in to enable them to enforce Greek taxes this on errant Greek boats - I have seen it being done. But this does not exclude us from the obligation. I suspect that next year, Port Police may be under greater pressure to follow the law to enable them to catch errant Greek boaters. Port Police do not like doing this, and have been allowed to unofficially back off this year.
If next year you find yourself in the accidental position of finding you are out of date, take a copy of the Greek original (attached below) to the Port Police and see if you can swing it that they enter a note in the "Comments Column" as explained above. I cannot guarantee success, but in the case of a normal PP they may well be happy for a let out. Its a lot of work for them to issue a fine.

A summary of how to live with the DEKPA

1. Ensure you record the renewal date clearly in your diary AT HOME so that you don't screw up with a late arrival next year.
  2. Do you know for SURE that you will be able to be back by the expiry date next year? (Illness, Family problems etc all are unknowns and can bite us unexpectedly)
  3. If 2 above might apply take action before you leave
  4. Renew your annual stamp early. If in Prevessa or another place that wont - insist they call the ministry, they will be put right
  5. Put the vessel Out of Use: A simple procedure in which you take your ships papers and Dekpa and hand the to the police asking for them to record it as out of use as you are not sure when you are coming back. They will enter a lot of info about birthdays etc onto a computer, and issue you with a certificate, which you will use to reclaim your papers and get a new stamp done. Note - a new Dekpa is not required. Note also - if the yard is not in a harbour, find out who the responsible authority is, it may not be the nearest port. Viz Haul out yard Dimstef Marine in Orie, Evia Island, the controlling port authority is PEFKI, and inconvenient journey 10 K to the East. Do not go to Loutra Edipsou. They cannot record it Out of use, but they can just validate your new stamp if that is all that is needed. (they are now educated!)
  6. Useful Documents. File Certified or preferably Notarised copies of passports of regular crew and the registered owners with you ships papers - you never know when they will come into play. Certified copies are much cheaper, and they look official enough.
  7. Lending to another Skipper - Family or trusted Friend. If you do NOT include the name(s) of other skippers who may sail the yacht from time to time on the DEKPA AND have a letter of authority in the possession of the temporary Skipper, you may be detained for Illegal Chartering. A letter is not enough. it must be on the DEKPA too. Note also that if a payment is made for the use of the vessel, this can only be for DIRECT PASSAGE expenses, and to avoid any doubt, these should be detailed with receipts. Any unexplained payments will land you in trouble. There will be a lot of very unpleasant pressure brought on you if they suspect illegal Chartering. Imprisonment or fines between €10,000 and €50,000 may be raised, following new legislation in January 2018.

For information on membership go to
https://www.theca.org.uk/join