Dehler 34 and derivatives

Gin

Visit site
I'm just idly pondering the idea of changing boats and my first thoughts are towards a Dehler 34.

Do any East Coasters have one and from those who have owned or sailed one extensively can you give some pros and cons to bear in mind if I take this further.

I'm in no hurry as the economic climate is hardly conducive to selling my present boat, and like many others this may be a time for continued caution

johnalison

Visit site
I take it you mean the old 34. I've not sailed one though a club-mate has had 2 and is happy with his. When I went on one a few years ago I was amazed at how small it was inside, with almost less room than my old Sadler 29. Although they go well enough, they will be out-classed by today's boats with more sail and longer waterlines. I think they make interesting cruisers, but as early reviews said, more suited to young crews than older people wanting to spend extended periods on board.

The new 34 is a different KOF. The only one I've seen close to had become separated from its rudder which was lying on the bottom nearby.

rudolph_hart

Visit site
I have had two Dehler 34s, one pre 1990 and post. Although they share the same hull, they have significant differences in internal layout, underwater appendages and rig.

I raced them both, and cruised both E.coast (2 up) and Holland (4 up) over 5 years' of ownership of each one. Suffice it to say that I thought they were great boats - so much so that I now have a 35CWS (which is a faster and more refined creature altogether) and no doubt my next one will also be Dehler (41DS?).

The subject of the 34's handling, space & pros & cons is too big to list here, but PM me if you want to discuss in detail.

Gin

Visit site
One reason to trade up- but not the only one- is improved stowage and living area. Your comment requires me to look closer before getting too interested

Thanks

Gin

Visit site
I reckon I am looking at about £35k+ so I guess that is a pre 1990 boat.

Given your approving comments and Kermudjon's apparently contradictory views on living space etc I need to do some more work.

If I may, I shall defer your kind offer ftb, and get back to you if and when my thoughts are a little more progressed

Thanks

Gin

Visit site
Yes, I have looked on that site for 'Boats for Sale' also 'Wanted' and ' Owners Comments'.

There didn't seem to be a forum for a discussion - did I miss it- and the apart from a rudder issue on the 34's and 36 there was nothing for me.

At the moment I am still in the first stage of planning, so I cannot say that I have even definitely settled on this marque- it is just a strong contender- so I wouldn't want unfairly to excite the hopes of any would be sellers .

If I wanted to post a question there later, how would I go about it and would this be an invitation to e-mail me directly?

gavina

Visit site
You have probably noticed that we have two 34s listed for sale - I could also put your interest on the boats wanted section so you could see what other boats are around?

You can join the forum by clicking through 'forum' near the top right of the home page.

Have you seen the D31 crash test here:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rvxhQO4pw2E

Don't hesitate to let me know if you would like any further help.