Deck paint colour in Med sun

pcatterall

Visit site
Our decks and coach roofs on our old Neptune are a medium grey colour.
I note that in the sun the grey areas are too hot for bare feet while adjacent white bits are cool.
Would painting the decks and coach roofs White significantly reduce heat build up inside the boat?
The deck is of sandwich construction but the cabin roofs inside do get very hot. Thanks.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Our decks and coach roofs on our old Neptune are a medium grey colour.
I note that in the sun the grey areas are too hot for bare feet while adjacent white bits are cool.
Would painting the decks and coach roofs White significantly reduce heat build up inside the boat?
The deck is of sandwich construction but the cabin roofs inside do get very hot. Thanks.

Yes, it would help. I've noticed I can feel the heat from our blue bimini when standing under it, but my friends sand coloured one is much cooler.
Here is a thread on the subject .... Topsides colour/inside temperatures in hot climates

justanothersailboat

Visit site
I've not sailed in the med but based on the very hot days in the UK last summer, I second Stemar's suggestion of cream/light beige/"sand". Was fine on my boat where grey painted bits were cooking. Also looks quite nice, though a bit demanding on cleaning. It may grow green less quickly in the Med than the Medway though :-D

geem

Visit site
We are Caribbean based at the moment. Decks are cream. They are cool even on windless days. I have had grey decks in the UK that I couldn't walk on in bare feet. We wouldn't go for any other colour

srm

Visit site
Another vote for cream. Not the Med but north Scotland and west Norway, white was too glaring in the sun so went to a mid grey. This was way too hot for bare feet on the steel deck. Cream worked well, comfortable on the eyes and did not get hot.
Also, cream was the traditional colour for canvas covered wood decks and coachroofs, no doubt for good reasons.

pcatterall

Visit site
Thanks all, everything useful including the link to the other thread.
We will move over to something white or near white.
Some responses favoured up film on the windows and we will look into that as well. Any recommended makes will be appreciated
Thanks again.