Deben and Ore entrances - update

Cantata

Visit site
The buoyage for the Ore entrance is in place, with little change from last year.
We will publish the Imray chartlet for the Ore entrance on the ECP website soon, possibly this evening.

The Deben entrance buoys have yet to be laid by Trinity House. We all hope it will be done in time for the Easter weekend, it needs a settled calm day for the job to be done.
We have the chartlet for this entrance too but think it best that we wait until the buoys are in place before publishing it. In the meantime, the request remains in place that anyone
wishing to trransit the entrance should speak to John White first.

Edit - update lunchtime Monday, it seems that at least some of the work may be in progress today.

Last edited:

Johnah

Visit site
Well it's all happening at the ranch with the Deben entrance buoys now re-positioned in the Fisherman's Swatch (John White's description) with boats coming in and out. No problems so far. As you can see the Knolls are covered close to HW.

On the top photo there is the Deben SH Buoy and the Knoll Spit PH Buoy acting as a gate. Then the West Knoll PH buoy is further out and in the distance the Mid Knoll SH Buoy, hopefully at the end of the shallow section.

I will get better photos and a video later.

John

DJI_0071.JPGDJI_0068.JPG

Leighb

Visit site
Interesting to see, more or less back to how it was years ago when the metes were
positioned on the shore to give a transit to enter. The first copy of East Coast Rivers that I owned showed these. I did not have a cruising boat back then though.

johnalison

Visit site
Interesting to see, more or less back to how it was years ago when the metes were
positioned on the shore to give a transit to enter. The first copy of East Coast Rivers that I owned showed these. I did not have a cruising boat back then though.
We used to use the metes in the ‘70s. They give much more confidence than when using the buoys, though you get a crick in the neck when going the other way.

johnalison

Visit site
What were 'the metes'? Some sort of leading marks?
And huge thanks for the trouble people take to publish and promulgate this vital info.
If there is a difference between metes and leading marks I don’t know it. For some reason the Bawdsey ones were always called metes. Great photos.

Johnah

Visit site
The main photo is on the ECP chartlet, here are a couple of additional Ore entrance photos taken yesterday.

Photos taken at LW - 1m above CD

DJI_0061.JPG

DJI_0050.JPG

Last edited:

Johnah

Visit site
Regarding the new Deben entrance, maybe the first thing to do is to see how the new buoy positions relate to the new channel.

This is a photo I took in February at close to CD showing the narrow gap between the knolls. Hopefully the Knoll Spit Buoy PHB and the Deben SHB are accurately marking this gate.

DJI_0033.JPG

Last edited:

Johnah

Visit site
This is a photo taken a couple of weeks ago looking the other way out to sea down the new channel. There is a long spit on the North (left hand) side.

DJI_0039.JPG

MikeBz

Visit site
I would never trust Navionics in this sort of situation!
It does have the new buoy positions already, if not the knolls themselves. If the buoy positions are correct then it could be useful to double check your COG (no I don’t mean centre of gravity!).