Dana. Two years before the mast

Wansworth

Visit site
Somehow appeared in my bookshelf maybe my brother bought it s/h and gave it to me…….I imagine could be interesting to historians of nautical maters or the history of the US but as a read I admit to skipping large bits as it was very repetitive and dry

creeks

Visit site
I read it some years ago and then a couple of years ago I discovered that a Scottish cousin of mine was the founder in 1822 of the official, legal, Hide and Tallow Trade that Dana was taking part in. The book is mentioned on a plaque in San Pedro which commemorates the "Hide House", built my cousin's business, and which was the first commercial structure in the port of Los Angeles.
As you say, it can be a dry read but it is interesting to someone like myself with a particular interest in the subject (I have a website devoted to my cousin and the Californian hide trade that he monopolised for the first three years).

Wansworth

Visit site
I read it some years ago and then a couple of years ago I discovered that a Scottish cousin of mine was the founder in 1822 of the official, legal, Hide and Tallow Trade that Dana was taking part in. The book is mentioned on a plaque in San Pedro which commemorates the "Hide House", built my cousin's business, and which was the first commercial structure in the port of Los Angeles.
As you say, it can be a dry read but it is interesting to someone like myself with a particular interest in the subject (I have a website devoted to my cousin and the Californian hide trade that he monopolised for the first three years).
I didn’t do it justice so a re reading and I appreciate it more,I must admit the hide and tallow trade I don’t understand in that part of the world.Iwould be very interested if you can send me the website name,thanks.

creeks

Visit site
Here is the website - it's my attempt to set the record straight as in many of the American accounts it gets overlooked that the trade was started by the British. My cousin Hugh McCulloch and his business partner William Hartnell beat the American ships by a few weeks to reach California when trade was opened up after Mexican independence in 1821. They signed a contract with most of the Missions which gave them a three year monopoly and shut the Americans out.
All the way from Cape Wrath - the Story of Hugh McCulloch aka Luis Macala

I should mention, if you found Dana a bit dry you'll find my website very heavy going!

Wansworth

Visit site
Here is the website - it's my attempt to set the record straight as in many of the American accounts it gets overlooked that the trade was started by the British. My cousin Hugh McCulloch and his business partner William Hartnell beat the American ships by a few weeks to reach California when trade was opened up after Mexican independence in 1821. They signed a contract with most of the Missions which gave them a three year monopoly and shut the Americans out.
All the way from Cape Wrath - the Story of Hugh McCulloch aka Luis Macala

I should mention, if you found Dana a bit dry you'll find my website very heavy going!
Thanks very much…..history illuminated by personnel history is always very satisfactory