D400 Windgen not charging

Ammonite

Visit site
I have a 12v D400 wind gen that produces 5 to 6v when I spin it by hand on the bench, which is in line with the manual. I also get the same voltage where it links with the original duogen regulator and the same again at the fused battery connection. However, it is not registering any charge on the BM1 battery monitor despite being connected to the same negative terminal on the shunt that the solar panel is, which is registering on the monitor. The solar panel has a seperate Victron regulator. I've a multimeter and a clamp meter. Where should I start? Thanks.

geem

Visit site
I have a 12v D400 wind gen that produces 5 to 6v when I spin it by hand on the bench, which is in line with the manual. I also get the same voltage where it links with the original duogen regulator and the same again at the fused battery connection. However, it is not registering any charge on the BM1 battery monitor despite being connected to the same negative terminal on the shunt that the solar panel is, which is registering on the monitor. The solar panel has a seperate Victron regulator. I've a multimeter and a clamp meter. Where should I start? Thanks.
It won't produce any amps until its in about 9 kts of wind. The voltage starts low at low turning speeds. The voltage increases as the prop speed increases. Once the voltage is above battery voltage is will start to produce amps

Ammonite

Visit site
It won't produce any amps until its in about 9 kts of wind. The voltage starts low at low turning speeds. The voltage increases as the prop speed increases. Once the voltage is above battery voltage is will start to produce amps
Thanks. I did wonder whether that might be the case but as you can probably tell electrics aren't my strong point!

William_H

Visit site
Theoretically an MPPT controller as used for solar panels may help get some charge out of low wind speed. It needs to be of a type which can boost voltage rather than just reduce voltage. Sorry don't know about brands. Or you might look at Ebay for boost/buck regulator if you wanted to experiment. As said no charge into battery until output voltage exceeds the battery voltage ie about 14v which only occurs with lots of wind. ol'will

Ammonite

Visit site
I'm going to do some further testing at the weekend when hopefully I'll see the magic 9 knots but when the D400 is running at lower speeds and producing 3 - 7v could it potentially result in an 0.1A - 0.2A discharge? I hadn't isolated the solar panel or the VSR linking the housebank to the bow thruster at this point so I'm not 100% but when I stopped the blades the monitor went back to zero. The D400 is fitted with a Duogen regulator
Regulator 12V (complete with dump loads) 80007 – Micro Wind Turbines manufactured by Eclectic Energy Ltd
https://eclectic-energy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Regulator-instructions.pdf

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
Theoretically an MPPT controller as used for solar panels may help get some charge out of low wind speed. It needs to be of a type which can boost voltage rather than just reduce voltage. Sorry don't know about brands. Or you might look at Ebay for boost/buck regulator if you wanted to experiment. As said no charge into battery until output voltage exceeds the battery voltage ie about 14v which only occurs with lots of wind. ol'will
It doesn't work using MPPT on wind turbines. Once the battery is full you need additional controls to stop the turbine from generating power. The dump type controller with resistors is the most common solution. They are reliable. Mine is 20 years old and still working fine. Its now charging my new lithium battery