Cutlass bearing again

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Moving on from my last posting .
I needed to order a new cutlass bearing 40x25x100
everyone I called in including ASAP could only offer me 40x25x120 which may had done the job or I could had cut 20 mm off but the work involved I decided I rather get the right size .
so I got intouch with the local dealer who said they didn’t have on in stock but could order it from France as they was about to put a order in anyway .
the part plus import due plus tax plus shipping plus VAT £125 .
maybe it’s just me but I tho their having a laugh .
So I got I touch with another dealer who did have it in stock ,
part plus posting plus VAT £37.
Mmmm I know where I be getting my parts from now on .
I can’t believe shipping and import due fo a small part comes to £88

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Moving on from my last posting .
I needed to order a new cutlass bearing 40x25x100
everyone I called in including ASAP could only offer me 40x25x120 which may had done the job or I could had cut 20 mm off but the work involved I decided I rather get the right size .
so I got intouch with the local dealer who said they didn’t have on in stock but could order it from France as they was about to put a order in anyway .
the part plus import due plus tax plus shipping plus VAT £125 .
maybe it’s just me but I tho their having a laugh .
So I got I touch with another dealer who did have it in stock ,
part plus posting plus VAT £37.
Mmmm I know where I be getting my parts from now on .
I can’t believe shipping and import due fo a small part comes to £88
Brexit.

Mister E

Visit site
Unfortunately the amount of paperwork and customs hassle is not worth the bother for companies to export to the UK now.
So European companies price so that you will get stuff from elsewhere.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Unfortunately the amount of paperwork and customs hassle is not worth the bother for companies to export to the UK now.
So European companies price so that you will get stuff from elsewhere.
Yes I agree some small company won’t export but it’s more uk company exporting to the EU then the other way around

but I’m Sorry can’t agree in this case .
for one reason this is a marjor dealer for a French yacht company so they are importing parts all the time .

for another the item probably be no more then €20 if that to them so no way is export dues and charging Vat going to be £100
and lastly as many of us know under an amount there no import duty.

to me this is a clear case of a large dealer just ripping of the public because they think they can other wise why another dealer for the same brand of boat can sell the part for £37 including vat and shipping .
im very disappointed with them .

bignick

Visit site
Try Lake Engineering / !ake Sterngear (Poole). I bought mine from there and they normally stock that size.

oops. Just read the rest of your post and realised you found one. I’ve left my comment in case it’s useful for anyone else.

Last edited: