Current status re Liveaboard on River Itchen?

Rhoel

Visit site
Can anyone provide any information regarding the situation for liveaboards on River Itchen, Southampton ... I am just about to move my boat from Milford Marina to Southampton and I have been given conflicting information about living aboard status; Some say "its okay", others "no way". Could this be the difference between marina pontoons (not okay) and Pilings/swinging moorings(okay)?

If Southampton is a no-go situation, does anyone have information on Poole Harbour (or anywhere regionally) where I can keep the boat in the water and live aboard .... I know most of the south coast is a boat park full of marinas with boats that go nowhere - its a pity there isn't a provision for people who like to sail as much as they can 365 days per year, and allocate space accordingly.

Problem is I have been spoiled since keeping the boat in West Wales (there the situation is offcially okay, having mains hookup and mail delivered to the marina office). Work now takes me back to Southampton and I will be there before 1st April. 2004 ... Dates depend on if I sail around or bring the boat down by road.

My thanks in advance.

<hr width=100% size=1>