Current design trends

Zing

Visit site
I’m fairly sure that ‘rotating mast’ has been lost in translation and actually means folding mast. I may be wrong but that’s what the brochure suggests.
They do exist. A very expensive high performance feature.

dunedin

Visit site
Our Dragonfly 800 had a rotating mast. A production cruiser racer.
Isn’t a rotating mast much easier on a multihull ? Conventional spreaders (like on the boat the subject of this tread) don’t work with a rotating mast, hence tend to have wide shroud base and potentially on mast diamonds?
The Open 60s use huge deck level spreaders

Shuggy

Visit site
“In its lifting keel and rotating mast version, the cruiser can sail along canals and rivers to its sailing grounds”

So says the brochure… so I’m going for ‘folding mast’ as the best translation.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Isn’t a rotating mast much easier on a multihull ? Conventional spreaders (like on the boat the subject of this tread) don’t work with a rotating mast, hence tend to have wide shroud base and potentially on mast diamonds?
The Open 60s use huge deck level spreaders
I’m sire that is right. Mast diamonds also interfere with overlapping jibs, which suits multis, the DF didn’t have them, though. The mast section was quite large, and aluminium, so heavy. The 920 they took a different approach to save weight aloft.

B27

Visit site
“In its lifting keel and rotating mast version, the cruiser can sail along canals and rivers to its sailing grounds”

So says the brochure… so I’m going for ‘folding mast’ as the best translation.
Sounds like a mast tabernacle, to drop the mast.

A few dinghies have had rotating masts with spreaders, the spreaders are a unit right across the shrouds with a pivot on the front of the mast. Some Moths do this, with a 3rd arm of the spreader going to the forestay.
Tasar dinghies use over-rotating masts controlled by diamond stays, doesn't affect the jib. In fact with diamonds, you can have a big overlapping genoa and sheet it inside the shrouds to get a fine sheeting angle.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Sounds like a mast tabernacle, to drop the mast.

A few dinghies have had rotating masts with spreaders, the spreaders are a unit right across the shrouds with a pivot on the front of the mast. Some Moths do this, with a 3rd arm of the spreader going to the forestay.
Tasar dinghies use over-rotating masts controlled by diamond stays, doesn't affect the jib. In fact with diamonds, you can have a big overlapping genoa and sheet it inside the shrouds to get a fine sheeting angle.
Shearwater cats have rotating masts with the attachment point on the leading edge of the mast . The foot sits on a ball rather like a tow hitch ball

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Shearwater cats have rotating masts with the attachment point on the leading edge of the mast . The foot sits on a ball rather like a tow hitch ball
Any other method with a rotating mast would be amazingly complicated. Darts, Hobies, Tonados and Hurricanes, and the more modern F18 cats, plus our DF800 all had that.

Birdseye

Visit site
How does that work with multis then?
There was an interesting investigation into multihull seaworthyness by the US coatsguard. Probabloy sometime in the 90s since that was when I was looking for a Cat. Anyway, reading the report showed that a key factor in multi capsize was the area of the under deck which in bad seas often gave rise to lift. Solid bridgedeck cats were more at risk than those with nets between hulls.
For monos, the most important capsize issue was size - the bigger the better.