Cruising Numbers: UP or DOWN?

goeasy123

Visit site
I've just finished reading Jimmy Cornell's excellent book, 200,000 miles. He includes figures for trends in cruising showing a significant decline between 2010 and 2015, 2015 being the latest figures cited in the book. This seems to go against the evidence of people I've talked to, expressing their experiences of increase crowding in anchorages and on temporary and permanent moorings. On the other hand I here brokers complaining of tight used and new markets for boats.

Now we're in 2020 do we think the numbers have gone up since 2015? Or does the market now have a new dynamic and what is it? Have the Youtube sailing channels had an impact? Any opinions or has anyone got some hard (numbers) evidence?

Rappey

Visit site
I read that the panama canal reported quite a large decline in sailing vessels last year. Even berthon in their annual report stated "people do not want to sail anymore" or something similar..
People want new spacious marina yachts, people do not want to sail seas anymore !

goeasy123

Visit site
Bruce's yard in Faro has increasing number of boats every winter of all nationalities and the Andalucia marinas are filling up again compared to a few years ago.
I wonder it this means cruisers a concentrating in particular areas and deserting other? And I wonder if these are new sailors or old salts returning to the water?

AndrewB

Visit site
The number of privately owned boats at my marina (the largest in the Ionian) has been declining. But this doesn't mean numbers of people sailing has gone down - far from it. For every private boat that has gone, more than one charter boat has replaced it, and, unlike some of the private boats, these are in hard use throughout the summer. It's a different attitude to sailing.

Rappey

Visit site
A mooring operator in Portsmouth Harbour has reduced his moorings over the past couple of years by around 40% due to lack of demand

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I wonder it this means cruisers a concentrating in particular areas and deserting other? And I wonder if these are new sailors or old salts returning to the water?

As well as folks such ourselves who are Algarve based, we get lots going to/from the Med and across the pond. The majority 40+ft in the yard are longer distance cruisers as most marinas handle annual lifts for most of the day/weekend boats.

jordanbasset

Visit site
The number of privately owned boats at my marina (the largest in the Ionian) has been declining. But this doesn't mean numbers of people sailing has gone down - far from it. For every private boat that has gone, more than one charter boat has replaced it, and, unlike some of the private boats, these are in hard use throughout the summer. It's a different attitude to sailing.
Agree, we were saying last year there were less live-aboards/long term cruisers in the Ionian but more charter/flotilla boats than ever

Rappey

Visit site
The future of uk sailing... yachting monthly. Google it. It explains why the decline .

ryanroberts

Visit site
The barrier to entry for trying cruising was pretty low for me. Sailing Holidays would give you a temporary qualification for their Ionian flotillas, tell you they have 'great insurance' and let you get on with it including 3-4 days on your own(ish) for the 2 week holidays. I could handle a boat under power beforehand but sails were very very new as my childhood boating was mostly diving and fishing from RIBs. Early season near empty anchorages and the beer following the Terrifying Squall on day 1 tasted great, felt like I had just cheated God and I was smitten by the hobby.

Before I decided to just liveaboard accessibility was going to be an issue, getting in significant amounts of weekend sailing involves a hell of a lot of transport from most places with good employment - I currently work remotely but my ex does not.

I get the impression ARC level cruising does have pretty deliberate barriers to entry?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Our impression is that there are far more boats in the Aegean than previously. Of course, this may simply be because they have moved from elsewhere. Cruising in Turkey seems to be on the increase, accounting for some of the bigger numbers in Greek waters.

dgadee

Visit site
A European wide report said that over the past decade the average age of owners had increased by 10 years. That is, no one is entering the market.

Bangor marina, NI, pretty empty. Owned by council but run by private company who must be getting a profit but council claims marina loses it money. It could be costing them more in another 10+ years as we all die off/give up.

srm

Visit site
I have been based in Praia da Vitoria Marina, Azores, since 2014. Each year the winter boat park ashore is full with cruising yachts plus a few locals. Last year there were also three or four boats in the car park. This year the car park is almost full as well.

dgadee

Visit site
I have been based in Praia da Vitoria Marina, Azores, since 2014. Each year the winter boat park ashore is full with cruising yachts plus a few locals. Last year there were also three or four boats in the car park. This year the car park is almost full as well.

Boats seem to be getting bigger so distances perhaps seem smaller. Flights are cheaper, too. Ryanair does the Azores now, e.g. Could that have impacted on the Azores? I was only at Ponte Delgado once but that was when loads of the AZAB boats were in. It was pretty busy.

srm

Visit site
Boats seem to be getting bigger so distances perhaps seem smaller. Flights are cheaper, too. Ryanair does the Azores now, e.g. Could that have impacted on the Azores? I was only at Ponte Delgado once but that was when loads of the AZAB boats were in. It was pretty busy.

I don't think boat sizes have increased that much in the years I have been here. Praia does have more winter shore storage space than any other of the Azores marinas. Angra is also full ashore all winter. A number of overwintering boats will probably move on in the spring or stay in the Azores for two or three seasons.

But yes, Ryanair is starting direct flights from Stanstead to Terceira this year in addition to flights from the continent to Ponta Delgada so there is some impact. Not many British boats here though, including a few who's owners have also bought houses on the island. Visiting boats, as would be expected are mainly from other European countries and a few across from North America. Some French and others seem to have decided that it is cheaper to keep their boats here and fly out to use them.

It's sometimes difficult to work out what nationality the boat's owners actually are. A lot of locally owned yachts keep foreign registrations to avoid Portuguese regulations on pleasure boats. We also had two USA flagged vessels and one UK with Russian owners, and another Spanish flagged vessel that changed to a red ensign over a winter but the same people on board.

Summer sees Praia Marina full with around twenty or more boats in the anchorage. We should have the Jester Challenge boats here again this summer, but they can often get berths in with the smaller local boats.

To answer to OP, certainly, no noticeable decrease in the number of cruisers since I came here and possibly a slight increase.

Perrycas

Visit site
Hello SRM, I have been trying to find an email contact or a website for Praia Marina. They seem to be doing a good job of staying discreet. Thought I'd put this in for anyone interested
Marina da Praia da Vitória
Angra
Portos dos Açores, S.A. » Marina de Angra do Heroísmo

You mention 'since I came here' . Looks like you're keeping a boat there somewhere? Happy with it?
I noticed Ryan are flying out there, I think once a week. You're not having any sort of Covid 'lock down' at Present?

srm

Visit site
You mention 'since I came here' . Looks like you're keeping a boat there somewhere? Happy with it?
Yes, very happy with Praia Marina, arrived in 2014 just in time for 10 days of non-stop festival and still here. Normally keep the boat afloat all year. Praia only gets restless in strong easterlies whereas Angra Marina is often restless as swells refract around Monte Brasil and into the marina. Although, to be fair, people from Angra will deny any swell in their marina but may complain about the 'current' across their berths.

Lockdown was effective and has now been relaxed. Mandatory to wear masks in shops, offices, etc with limits on persons inside, otherwise everything is fairly normal. If entering the islands by boat or air you need to provide a negative virus test obtained within 72 hours of departure, OR be tested on arrival and accept isolation until test result given. Follow up tests required at 5 and 13 days. Test rules may change and detailed requirements for visiting boats seem to depend on the port/marina authority.

Prefer not to use Ryanair so can not comment on their flights.