cruise from Ionian to France

Beaujolais

Visit site
Hi, We are taking Beaujolais back to the UK via the west coast of Italy from Prevesa to the south of France,we hope to set off mid August and early spring next year via the canals can anybody tell me or give me an idea of how long the sea leg may take, and some areas to avoid.

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

You may get better response to this sort of question from the Liveaboard forum.

I did a similar trip last year from Corfu to Sant Carles in Spain. The answer is really as long or as short as you want it to be. Work on 100 miles a day if you just want to get there. Alternatively if you want to take it easy and see the sights on the way you could take up to a whole season.

That time of year is generally hot and windless plus marinas are at their most expensive and busy so lots of diesel and head for Sicily, Straits of Medina, Sardinia, Corsica then SofF. Reasonable choice of stops on each island to refuel and break the journey.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Many cruisers who have done the west coast of Italy say 'never again'. Doing it in August makes it all a great deal worse. I would do just as Tranona says, but don't miss the Aeolian islands. Both Corsica and Sardinia will also be crowded then but you do have some anchoring options. There are very few along the Italian coast, other than the few islands.

We left Bastia, Corsica at the end of May and arrived in Greece on 7 July, although we were not in a hurry.

SHUG

Visit site
Here we go:
Gouvia to Limi Erikousa 32m
Limi to Rocella Ionica 175m
Rocella to Tropea 117m
Tropea to Cetrano 50m
Cetrano to Camerota 43m
Camerota to Agropoli 43m
Agropili to Ischia 50m
Ischia to Ventotene 24m
Ventotene to Ponza 21m
Ponza to Cannigione (Sardinia)165m
Cannigione to Porto Veccio (Corsica) 35m
Porto veccio to Bastia 75m
Bastia to Maciaggio 20m
Maciaggio to Nice 185m (a guess) and you are in France .. about 20 days........ done it .......Simples!!!!

Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
A few years ago I left Corfu in Early May, Arrived on the Rhone Mid July. Motored up the Rhone, then down the Rhine and on and out via Lubeck. I arrived in Gothenberg, Sweden in September.

I had a few hold-ups along the way, engine repair (waiting for spare water pump) in South of France just before the Rhone. A week here and there waiting for poor weather to pass through. A bit of sight-seeing also. 35 foot HR Rasmus.

So, doing the whole sea and canal trip took about 4 month in the same year. Even bought and moved into a house by October.

Beaujolais

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

You may get better response to this sort of question from the Liveaboard forum.

I did a similar trip last year from Corfu to Sant Carles in Spain. The answer is really as long or as short as you want it to be. Work on 100 miles a day if you just want to get there. Alternatively if you want to take it easy and see the sights on the way you could take up to a whole season.

That time of year is generally hot and windless plus marinas are at their most expensive and busy so lots of diesel and head for Sicily, Straits of Medina, Sardinia, Corsica then SofF. Reasonable choice of stops on each island to refuel and break the journey.
Thanks Tranona, not much choice about the time scale pos move to September, we have about a month to get to France, and maybe lift her for the winter and carry on in spring, thanks

Beaujolais

Visit site
Many cruisers who have done the west coast of Italy say 'never again'. Doing it in August makes it all a great deal worse. I would do just as Tranona says, but don't miss the Aeolian islands. Both Corsica and Sardinia will also be crowded then but you do have some anchoring options. There are very few along the Italian coast, other than the few islands.

We left Bastia, Corsica at the end of May and arrived in Greece on 7 July, although we were not in a hurry.
I think your right and it would make for a interesting trip, thanks

Beaujolais

Visit site
Here we go:
Gouvia to Limi Erikousa 32m
Limi to Rocella Ionica 175m
Rocella to Tropea 117m
Tropea to Cetrano 50m
Cetrano to Camerota 43m
Camerota to Agropoli 43m
Agropili to Ischia 50m
Ischia to Ventotene 24m
Ventotene to Ponza 21m
Ponza to Cannigione (Sardinia)165m
Cannigione to Porto Veccio (Corsica) 35m
Porto veccio to Bastia 75m
Bastia to Maciaggio 20m
Maciaggio to Nice 185m (a guess) and you are in France .. about 20 days........ done it .......Simples!!!!

Thanks SHUG, simple??

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks Tranona, not much choice about the time scale pos move to September, we have about a month to get to France, and maybe lift her for the winter and carry on in spring, thanks

Month is plenty. Get yourself a Pilot and work out a route that suits your pace. As suggested the island hopping route is the preferred one with plenty of alternative stopping points.

danielefua

Visit site
Hi, We are taking Beaujolais back to the UK via the west coast of Italy from Prevesa to the south of France,we hope to set off mid August and early spring next year via the canals can anybody tell me or give me an idea of how long the sea leg may take, and some areas to avoid.

I know pretty well the route and my advice is to avoid the Tirrenian coast of Italy in July and August. No problems in other months and in fact it may be quite pleasant: the places are very nice. If you have to sail in those months a better choice is the western coast of Sardinia and Corsica even if there are less shelters and you should beware of the possible Mistral.

Depending on boat, weather and crew, you may get from Preveza to south France in any time between less than 15 and up to 30 days.

Daniel