Crossing the pond this year?

SimonJ

Returned to Caribbean for the winter, back to uk f
Visit site
Just wondering if there are others out there planning to cross to the Caribbean this year. Having read the YM article about a cruise to France I thought it might be fun to link up electronically initially and physically (well, not that physically!) in due course.
My wife and I have plans to go from Portimao in September where boat is now laid up (after a great winter afloat there), to Porto Santo, thence to one of the new marinas in Madeira (if completed in time) followed by Graciosa, Lanzarotte, Fuerteventura, Teneriffe and leave from Gomera initially for Cape Verdes in late Nov. Hoping to avoid the effects of the ARC which tend to clog marinas en route and push prices up - if you have an Oyster 55 you probably do not mind paying more!
From past experience/reports Porto Santo, Graciosa etc are great cruiser hang outs and it certainly makes the crossing SSB nets more fun if you know some of the participants (even if you can only receive). Maybe we could have the biggest NARC ever!

<hr width=100% size=1>SimonJ

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
The new marina in madiera just south of the Eastern tip, closest to porto Santo, is lovely, we were there 2002 Dec, not finished but had pontoons in. But leave if a South Easterly or Southerly is forecast, there were 2m seas breaking through the entrance and no body could leave for two days, that huge wall doesn't stop the waves coming over either.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SimonJ

Returned to Caribbean for the winter, back to uk f
Visit site
Re: Crossing the pond this year?Madeira update

Hi
Thanks for info. I met a Charles Lindley during the Winter who is an Anglo Portugese gentleman whose company built the first new marina in Madeira which you mention. He does not recommend it (!) as a lot of dusty hotel/building work is going on and it is exposed as you say although apparently a breakwater extension has been built. Apart from that it is also a long way out of town. However, the good news is that 2 more marinas, better protected (?) and better positioned for Funchal are now under construction and should he said be ready by the Autumn - one at Lugar de Boxio and the other at Caleta. He has promised to report progress later on in the year.
Simon

<hr width=100% size=1>SimonJ

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
People that are preparing are too busy working to save a few extra pennies, meanwhile those of us that have come back are dreaming of going again...whilst at the work computer!

<hr width=100% size=1>